Hello!  My name is Maria, and this is my first time writing for the Career Center & GAMP blog as the new Career Center & GAMP Social Media/Marketing Intern.  I’m a senior Public Relations major with a Mathematics minor, and I can’t wait to share with you all-things-new and happening in the Career Center & GAMP this year!

If you are a First Year Zag, I would highly recommend going to the FREE Italian Soda Social for First Year Zags this Tuesday, September 9, from 4-6 p.m. on the Steps of Crosby.  This event is sponsored by the Gonzaga University Career Center & GAMP and is a great way to meet fellow Zags and learn more about the services at the Career Center & GAMP.  You also get to meet the Career Center & GAMP staff, the Career Center Representatives (CCRs), and – making a special appearance this year – GSBA President Conner House!  My roommate and I went to the Italian Soda Social together our freshman year, and we had a great time.  I actually stumbled across this picture of us on the Career Center & GAMP Facebook page earlier this summer:

2011 Italian Soda Social

We are the two girls receiving Italian Sodas on the right – I’m almost hidden behind my roommate.

The Italian Soda Social is the Career Center & GAMP’s largest student-attended event on campus each year.  In 2013, over 700 students attended.  While the social is primarily for first year students to introduce them to the Career Center & GAMP office, rarely is a non-first year student who wants an Italian soda ever turned away.

The event was started in 2008 as a way to draw students into the Career Center & GAMP office.  Unknown to most students, the Career Center & GAMP office is located on the west end of the second floor of Crosby Student Center.  The hidden location of the Career Center & GAMP proved a problem when the Career Center & GAMP hosted its first Italian Soda Social in 2008.  Instead of being held on the Steps of Crosby, the social was in the Career Center & GAMP office, and only 10 to 15 students came!

In the last seven years, the Italian Soda Social has grown immensely.  With an expected attendance of over 700 students, the Career Center & GAMP now buys 60 bottles of flavored syrup, 18 cases of club soda, 52 quarts of half & half, and 48 cans of whipped cream topping for the event, not to mention a reserve of maraschino cherries for use as needed.  All 12 members of the staff are on hand to pour Italian sodas with help from the CCRs and special guests.  In 2013, Vice President for Student Development Judi Biggs Garbuio, Ph.D., helped pour Italian sodas for the first year students, and this year, GSBA President Conner House has volunteered to pour sodas as well.  Spike, too, is known for making special guest appearances.

Now that you know a little more about the Italian Soda Social, I hope to see you there!  I’ll be taking pictures, so I feel free to stop me and say hello if you get the chance.  I’d love to hear what you have to say about the Career Center & GAMP and introduce you to the Career Center & GAMP staff and services.  As for now, ’til then!