untitled

A question commonly posed by college students and industry professionals alike is “what should I be reading.” Answers may vary from the Wall Street Journal, to the Economist, to medical and technology news reports. Well, there is a new answer for this question: The Industries of the Future by Alec Ross.

Alec Ross began as a teacher with the organization Teach for America. This work led to a career in service and Ross ultimately co-founded the nonprofit One Economy. One Economy employs novel ways of delivering “technology and information about education, jobs and healthcare to low-income people.” Ross has since served as Senior Advisor for Innovation to Hillary Clinton during her time as Secretary of State traveling to over 40 countries discovering technological advancements.

The Industries of the Future focuses on what businesses will drastically impact our world. Ross focuses on three main points: artificial intelligence, commercialization of Genomics, and languages. According to Ross, these industries could have a similar if not greater effect as the internet over the next ten years. In addition, Ross describes what educational supplements will be most beneficial to students outside of the classroom.

Over the next few weeks, I will be providing my thoughts and opinions as I work my way through this fascinating book. I will also be discussing how specifically Gonzaga is contributing to these areas of innovation.