Career & Professional Development

Helping Gonzaga University Students and Alumni Clarify and Achieve Their Academic and Professional Goals

Beets, Bears and Your Next Career?

00008368-308865_4001My title, for any fans of NBC’s hit show The Office it is obvious which character I am referring to:  Dwight K. Schrute of Dunder Mifflin Scranton.   Not only does he love his beet farm as well as warding off bear attacks, Dwight also loves his job.   As I settled in to watch my #1 favorite show last night, I began wondering about Dwight’s passion on a day-to-day basis.    He wakes up with the goal of bringing the best of himself to the table and sales force on a daily basis.  Although his energy is relatively annoying and exhausting there is something to be said for his drive to be the Best Mid-Regional Paper Salesman in Pennsylvania.   It is apart of who he is as a person, part of his identity of his whole.  

But wait, reality check…Dwight is a character who only lives in fiction.  Even in fiction however there is a lesson that we can all learn from our Assistant to the Regional Manager:  discovering one’s passion.    

I know for college students or even young Alumni, it is overwhelming and intimidating to create or discover your passion to level of intensity of a character like Dwight.  That is when you take it step by step through a process of self discovery.   If you find yourself questioning or wondering your next step or “move”, just try something new.  Maybe a new city or company or organization.  If an opportunity presents itself to you that has a hint of possibility.  Go for it.  If it doesn’t work out, that’s okay.   Learning what you don’t like is just important as well!

By trial and error you will begin to define your ideal career path which may or may not include selling paper or beets.  🙂

2 Comments

1. Cassandra Marrs

May 18, 2009 at 9:44 AM

That truly made me look at Dwight in a new perspective… much less annoying…Maybe. I should write a post on Pam and her recent career advancement from receptionist to sales! 🙂 She really stood up for herself and took some initiative.

2. Belinda Bobko
    Belinda Bobko

May 18, 2009 at 9:45 AM

I am glad that you enjoyed the Office Inspired post. Let’s see how Pam does with her sales before we write a post, but I see opportunity! 🙂