Imagine that you are in an elevator. The doors open and in walks the CEO of your favorite organization. You have the time of the elevator ride to get your message across of who you are and what you are about. What would you say?

A good elevator pitch should sound impromptu, but you’ll need to prepare it in advance to get it that way. Keep in mind the following five questions that your elevator pitch should answer:

1. Who are you?
  2. What do you do?
  3. What can you do for me?
  4. Why should I hire you?
  5. How can I contact you?

Things to consider:

• Start with a positive, confident and uplifting intro. This sets the tone for the message and common sense courtesy goes a long way in this case.
  • Practice, practice, practice. When you’re comfortable with it, practice on family and friends, and ask them for feedback on the content of your performance.
  • Keep the message concise (less than 30 seconds to be safe!)
  • Maintain eye contact. This displays confidence and trustworthiness – it’s all about a good first impression
  • Tailor your delivery to the circumstances of the moment: the goal is to maintain a conversational tone and not sound rehearsed

If you’re still stuck, take a peek at this sample elevator pitch:

“Hello, I am Jane Doe and I am currently a junior at Gonzaga University majoring in Public Relations. I believe one of my strengths is my ability to problem solve critically while working in a team. I enjoy learning and social media. I am looking for an internship opportunity that allows me to expand my developing leadership skills while gaining new insights into the field of communications. It is a pleasure meeting you and thank you in advance for your assistance with my search!”