Digital Content Manager
Washington Trails Association (WTA) is seeking a highly creative communications professional who is passionate about hiking and experienced in online engagement tools and strategies.
About Washington Trails Association
WTA is the largest statewide hiking organization in the country. The website (wta.org) attracts more than one million unique visitors per year. WTA’s trail maintenance program deploys more than 2500 volunteers on 150 trails throughout the state. A bi-monthly full-color magazine showcases hiking. Advocacy, youth and outreach programs engage hikers of all ages and interest levels. The communications program sits at the nexus of this work.
As a member of WTA’s communications team, the Digital Content Manager will be the primary writer, editor and publisher of content on the organization’s digital communications platforms including the website, blog, e-newsletters and social media. WTA is looking for an exceptional writer with strong experience in online content management and user engagement. The Manager must have a solid understanding of how to effectively use social tools like Facebook and Twitter and other social media, and demonstrated success in inspiring and engaging people online. The Manager must have demonstrated ability to write in a sophisticated, yet inspiring and fun, voice that complements WTA’s other external communications.
- Write, edit, publish and maintain original content for the website that is informative, relevant, inspiring and engaging to hikers – and that supports WTA’s programs. This includes dynamic feature content about where to go hiking, information that coincides with WTA campaigns and semi-static content throughout the website. WTA uses Plone CMS.
- Manage a high-content daily blog by contributing ideas to the editorial calendar, writing 2-3 blog posts per week, and assigning and editing submissions from other staff and volunteers.
- Direct WTA’s new media by engaging hikers through Facebook (16,700+ fans), Twitter (4,100+ followers), Google+, and Pinterest on a daily basis.
- Write and distribute Trail News, a monthly e-newsletter that goes to 20,000 subscribers. Assist in the development of other e-newsletters: The Green Hat and Families Go Hiking.
- Monitor and post user-generated content, including Hiking Guide additions and comments to Trip Reports and The Signpost Blog.
- Create online graphics and regularly edit photos for the website.
- Collaborate with other communications and program staff on editorial calendars and direction of work.
- Analyze website, newsletter and social media statistics.
- Maintain solid working knowledge of website function and how to troubleshoot basic problems.
- Monitor website performance and communicate regularly with outside consultants and developers to ensure it is functioning smoothly.
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in online communications, with demonstrated experience with online campaigns that create change.
- Passionate and knowledgeable about hiking in Washington state.
- Exceptional writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Genuine passion for social media and new technology.
- Strategic thinker, with the ability to map daily responsibilities to the organization’s mission and goals.
- Experience directing social media campaigns to build community and deepen engagement.
- Outstanding organizational and project management skills, with the ability to meet deadlines, while juggling multiple projects.
- Strong understanding of content distribution across multiple platforms.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to maintain good professional relationships with staff, board, volunteers and contributors in person and by writing/phone.
- Experience using Adobe products such as Photoshop and InDesign a plus.
- Experience with email marketing software (such as Exact Target) and email campaigns.
- Experience with creating audio podcasts and video a plus.
- Experience using Salesforce a plus.
- Basic graphic design skills strongly preferred.
- Non-profit experience a plus.
This is full-time salaried position based in our Seattle office. Compensation is DOE and includes a generous benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, HRA, retirement, disability, transportation, and holiday, vacation and sick leave.
Send a cover letter, resume and a 100-word description of your favorite hike to email@example.com. Reference the job title “Digital Content Manager” in the subject line. Applications accepted until May 11, 2012.
Washington Trails Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, sex, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or national origin.
Full Job Description: http://www.wta.org/about/job-opportunities/digital-content-manager