WetFeet knows the logistics of landing your dream job. A recent post on the website will help you obtain it.

The first question about yourself is tricky.Palms sweat and words ramble, but this appraoch is sure to help in interviews, networking, and coffee dates.

Just remember, “So tell me about yourself” really means “So, tell me why I might be helping you get a job today.” It starts a conversation that takes combining preparation with presentation.

Where to start? Keep this suggestoins in mind:

• Before you meet or talk or Skype, reflect on your tangible skills (technical, not personal), challenges you overcame, and the specific reasons why you will be a great job candidate, employee, or contact.
  • Next, answer these WetFeet questions in a notebook
  • Which of your previous jobs, even if they were part-time or volunteer positions, provided you with experience relevant to what you hope to do now? If none, what about internships or academic experiences? What about courses you may have taken that gave you an understanding of the industry you’re pursuing?
  • What are your strongest skills?
  • List specific examples of projects that you worked on where you solved an important problem. You can use those to show that you are a great troubleshooter and can think under pressure.
  • What can you say about yourself that will set you apart from other young people or entry-level job candidates? In other words, what makes you memorable and special?”
  • Next, remember the 3×3, three stakes in your answer that establishe your focus and articulation, and three ways to practice saying them.
  • Say: Tell them who you are with one remarkable statement about yourself that urges the listener to want to know more (I am…

Examples from WetFeet

• A magna cum laude graduate of ____________with a B.A. in ___________ .
  • A recent grad and recipient of the ________ award in __________ .
  • An accomplished musician who managed a band and put myself through college.
  • An extreme sports enthusiast who jumps out of airplanes and learned to fly them.
  • A strong researcher who made significant contributions to ___________ .
  • A championship athlete and captain of my soccer team.

• Say: Tell them what you’re good at. Refer to your skills and how they benefited jobs, internships, study abroad, school or volunteering.
  • Say: Provide a call to action. Express clearly what you know you want and that you will do a great job.

Examples from WetFeet

• “My principal career goal right now is ____________ and I’m excited to learn how your company’s leadership position in the industry might open up opportunities for me.”
  • “I believe very strongly in your company’s mission. I’d love to explore with you how my success in this position could make a contribution to that mission.”

PRACTICE ALL the above by being CLEAR, CREATIVE, and CONCSISE.

3 Ways to make this work

• Do: Tape yourself, get to know your voice! And avoid ums, likes, uhs, all the fillers.
  • Do: Test it out in front of friendly ears (friends, family, coworkers)
  • Do: Create a cheat sheet on the back of a business card or index card that’s in your wallet always!

Always smile and be yourself!

Blog referenced Lindsay Pollack’s article on WetFeet.