8 week Internship with Mobius Science Center helping with a STEM grant!
Work with Girl Scouts after school at the brand new Mobius Science Center in Spokane! This is a GREAT opportunity for GU female students studying Science, Technology, Engineering, Education, or Math!
If you need more information, please contact Chris Ryman (GU Internship Manager) at 313-4092.
Job Title: Teen STEM Mentor, female
Status: Part Time, After School, approximately 3p to 5p
Supervisor: Director of Education and Outreach, Mobius Spokane Kathy Curtiss, firstname.lastname@example.org
To Apply: Send a resume, a letter outlining your qualifications and include three references (two from your current college) with all their contact information. Please send via email attachment.
Deadline: August 31st, 2012
Summary: Mobius Science Center desires dynamic, inclusive and organized individuals to deliver informal STEM educational programming to Girl Scouts enrolled at Glover Middle School. This position requires collaboration with a small team of educators and the ability to teach, facilitate, manage and ignite the imagination of middle school learners.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Mobius Science Center Education Team and Girl Scouts Eastern Washington and Northern Idaho to deliver and evaluate 8 weeks of educational programming.
- Collaborate effectively while strengthening relationships amongst the team.
- Coordinate and provide organizational support to complete team tasks.
- Deliver educational programs in a professional, engaging and enthusiastic manner.
- Ensure all actions in teaching and learning embrace Mobius Science Center and Girl Scout’s mission and reflect the highest degree of quality and commitment.
- Model effective leadership practices and institutional values of the Girl Scouts and Mobius Spokane.
Key Traits and Characteristics:
- Ability to ignite learning in others
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong professional written and oral communication skills, relating to teens
- Excellent organizational, analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently as well as on a team
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for informal science education
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for best practices in teaching methods with a focus on learning
- Strong public speaking skills
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with youth
This position involves after school programs for a cohort of 20 girls at Glover Middle School. Dates of involvement:
- September 19 – Orientation: 4-6pm
- September 22 – Training: 8am-4pm
- September 25th through November 7th – Tuesday and Wednesday for the next 7 weeks: 3-5pm
- November 14th – STEM Celebration at Mobius: 12-6pm
- November 16th – Wrap up, assess and discuss how to improve: 4-6pm