Career & Professional Development

Helping Gonzaga University Students and Alumni Clarify and Achieve Their Academic and Professional Goals

“Will you succeed? Yes, you will indeed (98 3/4% guaranteed).” – Dr. Seuss

dr-seussEvery once in a while I find myself needing to shake things up: Approach life from a new perspective or commit to a new challenge. Typically when this happens to me, I find myself making drastic changes in my life. From the small: learning how to knit, living in a barn, how to start a fire,shovel snow or cook (I am still learning how to master a few of these!). Or to the Big: changing careers, moving to a new city, traveling and working abroad on a cruise ship for two years. (That last change was a pretty drastic change… to say the least.)

By accepting new challenges (both the big and the small) you are constantly pushing yourself to discover what you are really and truly made of.

I have decided that the time has come to create a standing list, made famous by the recent movie, my personal Bucket List. We all know what a Bucket List is; it is your ultimate “Things to Do List” that trumps e-mails or memos. This is list about defining and redefining your life with goals, challenges and obstacles.

I have given this quite a bit of thought but to get my creative juices flowing, I looked up “100 Things to Do” and a great list popped up that inspired me to commit to finally write down the beginning of my Bucket List.

Here is my first 30, on my Bucket List.

1. Learn to play the piano.

2. Visit all Seven New wonders of the World: Machu Picchu, Peru; Petra, Jordan; The Great Wall of China; The Taj Mahal, India and Chichen Itza, Mexico. (I have 2 of the 5 down.)

3. Drive a race car.

4. Learn how to cha-cha and then maybe salsa.

5. Go on a safari.

6. Learn how to speak Italian.

7. Swim with sharks, and then dolphins.

8. Attend a NCAA Championship Basketball game. (Ideally, the one Gonzaga is playing at.)

9. Go sky diving.

10. Visit all 7 continents. (I have 5 down!)

11. Drink vodka in Russia.

12. Become a collector of glass art.

13. Spend days(s) at: the Louvre, Uffizi Gallery, British Museum in London and Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.

14. Travel to all 50 states in the U.S.

15. Attend the opening ceremonies for both summer and winter Olympics.

16. Finally read War & Peace.

17. Scuba at the Great Barrier reef.

18. Learn how to fly a plane.

19. Ride on a motorcycle.

20. Enjoy Mardi Gras.

21. Bungee jump.

22. Get a Masters Degree.

23. Find the love of my life and get married.

24. Go to Disney World.

25. Learn how to take care of my car, including changing a tire!

26. Write and publish a book.

27. Watch the 100 greatest movies of all time. (I only have 30 left, I just need to finish it!)

28. Visit the hometowns of my paternal and maternal ancestors. (In Italy & Germany!)

29. Create a home with an inviting, joyous, comfortable, loving atmosphere.

30. Listen and document the stories of my parents as children.

And I am just getting started…

Still stumped?  Here are questions ask yourself when creating your bucket list:

• If you had a year left to live, what would you do?
  • If you won the lottery, where would you go?
  • If you were lying on your deathbed, what would you most regret not having done?
  • If you had an upcoming high school reunion, what would you like to be able to tell your former classmates that you’ve accomplished?
  • What do you need to have more of in your life?
  • Who do you admire? Why?
  • You’re sitting with your grandchildren on your lap telling them about your exploits. What stories are you telling them?
  • You’ve died and are listening to your eulogy. What are your friends and loved ones saying about you?
  • If a genie granted you three wishes, what would you ask for?

Now here is the fun part. Start writing your bucket list, right now! Don’t wait or put it off. Creating new life challenges will inspire you to continually define who you are and what you want to achieve.

So I have to ask, what are you top 5 Things to Do? Post them here share them with the blogging world!!

10 Comments

1. Wow… learn to play piano is number one. As a pianist, I’m pleased with your selection.

2. Belinda Bobko
    Belinda Bobko

June 15, 2009 at 11:05 AM

I have always been jealous of people who can play the piano! It is such a great talent and it never goes out of style! 🙂

3. Hi. I like the way you write. Will you post some more articles?

4. Belinda Bobko
    Belinda Bobko

June 18, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Thanks for the great writing compliment. I try to write 2-3 times per week. Sometimes less, depending on my work load. Check back often.

5. It’s a masterpiece. I have never thought people can have such ideas and thoughts. You are great.

6. Belinda Bobko
    Belinda Bobko

July 7, 2009 at 9:03 AM

Thanks for the great feedback. We appreciate our readers who follow our blog! Happy reading!

7. Thank you for a great blog.

8. Belinda Bobko
    Belinda Bobko

September 9, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Thank you for commenting! (First time for everything!) Keep reading and giving us feedback! Happy blogging.

9. Found this post on twitter, thanks for the info