I will admit.  I am not perfect, sometimes in social situations I can get nervous trying to be too funny or witty (which of course just annoys anyone in a 10 feet radius of me).  The butterflies in the stomach, clammy hands and the second guessing of each comment said is another side effect of my tension.

One would think that I am referring to a blind date, but instead I am writing about the good old job interview.   Just like with dating, being nervous in an interview is a good thing.  Your adrenaline makes your senses heightened and ideally you should be much more aware of questions being asked as well as appropriate responses.

cartoon-jobinterviewgd

No matter how nervous you are, there are some responses to the standard interview questions that should never be said in an interview. CNN.com (in partnership with CareerBuilder) recently released hiring managers craziest responses to fairly standard questions.  The majority of the answers are funny and jaw-dropping.  One thing they all have in common: they are real.

“I’m not wanted in this state.”

“How many young women work here?”

“I didn’t steal it; I just borrowed it.”

“You touch somebody and they call it sexual harassment!”

“I’ve never heard such a stupid question.”

For the full list of outrageous answers, check it out the article here.

What should you say in the coveted job interview?  Highlight skills, accomplishments, qualities and goals for the future.  The interview is where you get to bring your personality away from paper and into real life.  Ideally you will answer the question how you fit perfectly with the organization and the position.

And whatever you say don’t let it be something a friend would reply by saying, “You said what in an interview?”