Chi-Urban Excursion

Good Weather: Better Experiences

March 11, 2014 · No Comments

Whenever I go on a trip I love finding a coffee shop, not for the coffee, but for the green tea.  This morning in Chicago it just so happened to be called Bridgeport.  It was a beautiful walk to this little place.  The sun was out, there was a slight breeze, and the buses were going, apparently this is not typical for the Chicago this time of year.  Once Maria and I returned to the Boulevard we had a nice breakfast.  After breakfast we had a talk about the public transportation in Chicago.  That was probably one of the most useful things that I will learn outside of school, but then they said that this would not apply to all places.  Darn!  Then, we put that lesson to the test and rode the bus and then the train to Chinatown.

It’s interesting that Chinatown was further away from downtown than I thought.   Regardless, it was a good time.  We walked up on side of the street and then down the other.  We saw weird things like dried seahorses, dried fish stomach, and the sort.  I wasn’t presented in a way that wanted me to add that to my diet either.  But, we were all getting hungry so we went to this small little Chinese restaurant called Ken Kee.  It was actually very delicious.  That is also where we ended our trip to Chinatown.  We headed back to the Boulevard after that.

Upon our return we decided to go to see Obama’s house.  But, really we were just admiring the lovely trees that kept the house from sight.  After we relaxed for an hour, and then we were off again, this time to the Cambodian Museum.  I never really knew about the genocide that occurred there.  Perhaps I learned it during my time in high school, but I guess I never really understood until today.  It was a really special exhibit and moment.  It was a reflective time for me to say a prayer for all those people and the others that have survived and passed away because of genocide.  I would recommend looking into it.

From there we left to Hamburger Mary’s a hip restaurant on a little strip.  Not to mention delicious food!  And then we ended our day at a show put on by a Barrel of Monkeys. Talk about unique and awesome.  This production is written by kids in schools and put on by adults, this one happened to be a musical.  It was so humorous, probably the best way to end the day out on the town.

Elena Rael

Freshman)

Categories: Uncategorized