Spotlight: Picking a Major

So you’re about to start your first year at Gonzaga University, and while you try to play it cool, some of you probably feel a little like this:

11 Pieces Of Advice For Incoming College Freshmen

Let’s talk about picking a major.

18 Reasons Why Choosing A College Major Is Impossible

At graduation parties, your relatives incessantly ask you what you plan on studying. And you probably don’t have a solid answer.

26 Moments In College When You Felt Like Kanye West

But maybe,  you are the lucky few who are 100% sure of what your major will be.

Others aren’t so sure…

But first things first: it’s not as scary/difficult/impossible as you think it is.

It is perfectly normal, in fact expected, to be totally unsure about your major. Have your freak out, a donut (or two), and realize there are  numerous people at GU who’s sole purpose is to aid your academic and professional success.

Mindy Donut

Academic Advising and Assistance is one of the offices who can help you with selecting a major. Along with the help of your personal adviser (who you will be assigned to you during Orientation Weekend), they’ll work with you to discern what program is right for you.

The Career Center also has rad resources that allow you to explore majors that play to your passions and strengths. They also have a great resource that lays out what career options a major can provide. We are here for YOU.

There are people here who can be the spark that ignite your journey of selecting a major. Just remember, you got this!

3 Responses to “Spotlight: Picking a Major”

• I believe this is a job well done. I could not stop laughing and am really impressed by the gifs.Good work Monti!

• I love this! The gifs are on point, and I am in the situation where I knew what I wanted to major in for years until spring my senior year where I changed my idea completely and now am totally confused as to where I want to go. This blog was so funny and gave me a great laugh!!

• Hi Lacey, I think most everyone changes their mind at one point about their major. In middle school and early high school I really wanted to do Aerospace Engineering but i eventually decided that I liked government more so I instead chose to major in Political Science. Then during my Freshmen year i decided that I wanted more so I added a Sociology major. I still love engineering but I ultimately decided that I just really wanted to study politics and social constructions. I have seen my friends change or add majors as well. Just study what interests you, and if your interests change, don’t be afraid to change your major as well.

Kevin McFeely
      Activities Manager