Spotlight: True Life- I Didn’t Like My Housing Assignment Until…

All right people, housing assignments have gone out! If you haven’t been checking your Zagmail, now would be a good time to log-in. You may be over the moon about your assignment, but a lot of people freak out if they didn’t get their first choice. Real talk: I was one of these people.

When I was on my campus tour, the Ambassador gave a quick profile of each residence hall’s character, but assured that every dorm had its positives. I scoffed at this politically correct statement, and had my heart set on Catherine Monica. I had been home-schooled, and attended an all-girls’ high school; in short, I was ready for things to get rowdy. July rolled around and lo and behold, I was assigned to the all-girls floor in Coughlin. It’s funny how in retrospect things seem so silly, but at the time this was basically the end of the world. But, I put my trust in Housing, and said “okay.”

Coughlin Four South, Service & Leadership was the best thing that could have happened to me. Since it was a themed floor, I already had something in common with these 42 strangers. Through hall activities, service projects, and hall dinners, these strangers became my best friends, and in turn, my family. Every student will say the residence hall they lived in was the best, and that’s because it’s true for them. Where you are assigned is the best place for you.

So have a little faith. Sometimes the unexpected, and even the unwanted, ends up being the definitive occurrence that can change your entire Gonzaga experience. (Fun fact: I lived with O-Core Soldati in Coughlin!)

Some cool things about our Residence Halls:

Coughlin– Themed floors facilitate friendship and commonalities.

St. Catherine/St. Monica or “CM”– Highly social; there’s hardly a dull moment.

Madonna– You have sinks in the room and the closest you can get to the BARC!

Goller– Lots of resources if you’re an engineering student, and a good environment to get work done.

Dillon– Suite-style with some sweet room sizes.

Twohy– Starbucks and FroYo is literally a 1 minute walk from your door. Starbucks in your backyard? Yes please!

Marian– You get free access to GU Outdoor rentals!

Chardin– The RAs here are fabulous this year AND you share a bathroom with only 3 other people.

Cushing– You’re able to wake up 5 minutes before class and still make it to your class in College Hall.

Dooley– Bigger rooms, and you get to know your freshmen and sophomore hall mates.

Alliance (ladies), Lincoln (ladies), Roncalli (gentlemen)- Don’t be weary of the “single-gender” thing; with smaller halls, you’re bound to form tight-knit communities!

Crimont– They have a really cool movie room and lounge in the basement that is perfect for all your game nights or birthday celebrations.

Desmet (gentlemen) & Welch (ladies)- Central to campus, it’s easy to pop back into your dorm for a quick nap/snack/study session between classes.