Intramurals @ Gonzaga

“In keeping with its Catholic, Jesuit, and humanistic heritage and identity, Gonzaga models and expects excellence in academic and professional pursuits and intentionally develops the whole person — intellectually, spiritually, physically, and emotionally.” ~Gonzaga Mission Statement

Hey to all you Weekend Warriors, all you Varsity Athletes! I hope you are busy ordering your books and buying your bedding, contacting your roommates and, hopefully, prepping for the competition that awaits you in Gonzaga Intramural Leagues. My name is Katie Freeman and I am the Operations Guide on GUide Core 2016. While I’m busy prepping for Fall Orientation and to see all of your beautiful faces here on campus, I’m also here to tell you all about Intramurals here at Gonzaga.

You have 30 events and sports to choose from here at Gonzaga and you can compete at levels from Recreational to Competitive – there is definitely something for everyone! It’s a fantastic way to get involved, make friends and get active. I’ll be the first one to say that getting out there and into the competition is a great break from studying and other obligations. Once you catch the intramural bug, you won’t be able to get rid of that. There is a lot of excitement around it and it’s an awesome time to socialize and try new things. I got to find out how fun Flag Football is, I renewed my love for volleyball and learned that it’s a good thing I left my basketball days in middle school. You don’t have to compete to win, just make sure you have fun!

Check out the list below to see what sport is most exciting to you! Competitions each have a season, and end of each season culminates with elimination games, semi-finals, and championships. Your trophy is an IM Champions T-Shirt for each person on your team. It’s a pretty coveted item on campus, too.

FALL SPORTS & EVENTS

Freshman Games, Fall Soccer, Lawn Games Challenge, Badminton, Swim Meet, Dodge Ball, Indoor Soccer, Racquetball, Swimming Relays, Flag Football, Volleyball 6’s, Fall 5k, 3 on 3 Basketball Tournament, Inner Tube Basketball, Per-Season Basketball, Senior Softball Tournament

SPRING SPORTS & EVENTS

Basketball, Spring Soccer, Bench Press Competition, Pickle Ball, Softball, Home run Derby, Spring Triathlon, Spikeball, Handball Tournament, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball 4’s, March Madness Events, 4 v 4 Flag Football, Tennis Tournament, Bocce Ball Tournament

Once the beginning of school settles down, make sure to ask your RA and keep an eye out for sign-ups for Freshman Games! If you’re unsure of what sport you’d like to play or if you want to try a lot of sports, this is perfect for you! Freshman Games is a tournament designated to First Year Students so you can get an idea how intramurals work. Form a team with new friends, people from your Residence Hall and compete for your first Championship T-shirt (plus bragging rights that you will have the rest of your time at GU). I was a part of a team that won Freshman Games my year and trust me, as a senior there is still some bragging going on.

Orientation is quickly approaching and when you start packing, I hope you remember to pack your tennis shoes, your t-shirts and sportswear – and make sure to bring your A-Game! I can’t wait to meet you all at Orientation and then see you on the field/court this next year!

Katie Freeman is a senior Business Administration major and the Operations GUide from Boise, ID.