Photo of Geneva Rossman

First Year Involvement

Hello! My name is Geneva Rossman and I am one of your Program GUides for New Student Orientation 2017. I am a sophomore Biology major from Bellevue, Washington. I am also a member of the Hogan Entrepreneurial Leadership Program.

As a recent first year student, I know that around this time people will start asking you all kinds of questions. The most common questions asked during your first few weeks at Gonzaga will be:

1. What is your name?
  2. Where are you from?
  3. What is your major?

The most important question that first year students are asking themselves is, “Where do I belong?” I asked myself that same question frequently throughout my first few months at Gonzaga. First year student involvement is extremely important. Getting involved in those first few weeks and throughout the rest of your college experience will develop your sense of belonging and connect you to the greater GU community, which is something that will last forever.

The first step to getting involved at Gonzaga attending the annual Club Fair, which happens in early September. The general tip for Club Fair is to sign up for as many things as possible, and try to attend as many introductory meetings as possible!   Despite the overwhelming messages in your student email inbox, the experience is well worth it.

In the first month, I signed up for Ski & Snowboarding Club, Science Club, G-Plus Club, Gonzaga Outdoors, Pre-Health Club, Swing Dance Club, and Human Anatomy & Physiology Club. In the end, I ended up staying with only one of those clubs. However, I learned about what I was passionate about and met people that I may not have met if I hadn’t put myself out there!   

If you feel like clubs aren’t your way to get involved, there are many other opportunities available as well. Going into office hours, attending study sessions for your major, reading Morning Mail for events and job openings, getting involved in your hall, or playing intramural sports are all other great ways to get involved. In fact, Morning Mail is what connected me to my position in the First Year Experience Office.

It is important to remember that no matter which way you decide to get involved, Gonzaga is devoted to helping all students lead “lives of leadership and service for the common good.” There is no right or wrong way to go about this process, so just stay true to yourself and you are bound to find where you belong in the Gonzaga family.

I wish you the best of luck in your first year and cannot wait to meet you all very soon!   

In GUidance,

Geneva Rossman