Front of Foley Center Library

Picking a Major: A Discernment Process

At this point in preparing for your time at Gonzaga, you may be considering (or freaking out about) your major. You may have a pretty good idea about what you want to major in, or you may have no idea whatsoever. Regardless of what stage of the discernment process you are in, know that there are many other people who are right there with you. Picking a major is a big deal; after years of pondering the question “what do I want to be when I grow up,” picking a major is one of the first steps in turning your dreams into plans. And, while picking a major is a big decision, it is not the end all. I like to think of a major as your first stepping stone to your career; a place to start from that gives you a solid foundation of experience and knowledge. Which path you choose to go on from this initial stepping stone is up to you, and your major in no way confines you to one course of action – rather, it opens up more opportunities in your career path.

Picking a major may seem like a daunting process, but the good news is that Gonzaga has many resources to help you through this process. In your required core classes you get the opportunity to take classes in a variety of subject areas designed to create a well-rounded, holistic education. As articulated in our mission statement “…Gonzaga models and expects excellence in academic and professional pursuits and intentionally develops the whole person…” In an effort to develop the whole person in the academic arena, these core classes not only broaden your education, but provide the opportunity for you to be exposed to areas of study you might have not considered. I would encourage you to take advantage of these classes while exploring what you want to major in, as they can be a great opportunity to explore things you are interested in while fulfilling your requirements. In addition to core classes, there are many other ways you are supported while discerning your major. From friendly and helpful academic advisors, to the Career and Professional Development center, there are many ways to take advantage of services provided to aid you in making a well informed decision about what to major in.

Before my freshman year at Gonzaga, I had relatively no idea what I wanted to major in. During my college discernment process I had been telling colleges that I was interested in majoring in business; partly because I was interested in business, but mostly because I wanted something to say to tour guides when the inevitable “what are you majoring in” question came up. In reality I did not have any idea what I wanted to major in and half expected to change my major. Although I enjoyed my classes my freshman year, it was not until my sophomore year that I actually felt excited about majoring in business. I was enjoying my courses and the people in them and began to consider majoring in Accounting. I talked to my academic counselor and some of my professors about what a profession in Accounting would look like, and they answered my questions, shared their experiences, and helped me see the many paths I can take with a major in accounting. This helped me see that the process of picking a major was not quite as overwhelming as I once thought and helped me feel supported during my discernment process.

Most of all, I would encourage you to take your time when picking a major. Come August you will be asked about your major more times than you can count, and you may feel pressured to know exactly what you want to study. I want to remind you that being unsure of your major is completely normal, and I would encourage you to not think of being unsure as a lack of direction. Rather, view this as a process of discernment. You already started this journey in pursuing a college career and by engaging with this process you are learning about your strengths, talents, interests, and, most of all, yourself. Although it may take some time, engaging in a thoughtful discernment process will pay off in the long run when you find something that captures your interests and allows you to use your individual gifts and talents in a meaningful way. In pursuit of the Jesuit value of Magis, or “the more”, each of you should be open to new experiences during your time at Gonzaga. In striving for “more” in professional pursuits we are able to make a greater impact on those around us and we are able to better embody being men and women for and with others in our dedication to using our gifts in service for and with others.

Anna Hauge is a Gonzaga graduate with a major in Accounting.