By: Meredith Aronson, Employer and Alumni Relations Manager

Greetings, Zag Families!

As summer is winding down (where did it go?!) you are probably starting to think about bringing your Zag to campus—whether for the first time or the fourth time. What you might not be thinking about yet is what comes after your student’s time at Gonzaga; but let me assure you that we spend all our time thinking about it! As a Gonzaga alumna myself, I am particularly proud to be working with students in the area of career development. My colleagues in the Career Center & GAMP are eager to help create opportunities and connect your student with the resources they need to make the successful transition from college to career.

I know you are getting a ton of information this summer about campus resources and departments, so I will make this short and sweet. Below, you will find the top three questions parents ask about the Career Center & GAMP services, and my answers.

Q: Can the Career Center & GAMP help get my son/daughter a job so they will move out of my basement?      

A: Yes! The Career Center & GAMP (Gonzaga Alumni Mentoring Program) provides students and alumni with career support, opportunities, and connections to help translate the Gonzaga experience into meaningful life work. We offer a variety of services, including career preparation workshops, individual student appointments for resume and cover letter review, and multiple Career Fairs, both in Spokane and in other cities. We also host and maintain an online job board called ZagTrax. Your student is automatically registered for ZagTrax and can use his or her Gonzaga login credentials to access it, so remind them to get in the habit of checking for internships and other opportunities on ZagTrax often! For more information about our services visit www.gonzaga.edu/CareerCenter.

Q: When is the Career Center open, and what does my student have to have prepared to start working with your office?

A: The Career Center is open 8-5, Monday through Friday, INCLUDING SUMMERS! Students don’t have to prepare ANYTHING before they visit—they just have to come in. Students can make individual appointments on ZagTrax, and we have drop-in hours (no appointment necessary) from 2-5, Monday through Thursday. Students can also make phone appointments or email us a resume or cover letter for review if they are home for a break or studying abroad. Visit our website for hours and an up-to-date calendar of upcoming workshops and events.

Q: How can I help with my student’s career development?

A: We love to partner with parents to provide the best possible support and opportunities for students, and there are a number of ways you can start the ball rolling in your student’s career development. Remind your student to take an active role in the process of making career decisions. Remember that it is OK to support and challenge, but don’t over-manage. Emphasize the importance and value of quality internship experience, encourage extracurricular involvement, teach the value of networking and open your network to your student. Also, encourage your student to come see us early and often—it is never too early to start the career development process, and we are ALWAYS here for Zags, even after graduation!

ATTENTION FRESHMEN PARENTS: I would like to offer a special invitation to parents of our first-year students to attend one of our “College to Career” information sessions on Saturday, August 30th. Come learn about our services and how we can help your student start his or her career development off on the right foot. You can find information about times and location in the parent itinerary booklet you will receive upon arrival in August.

Please feel free to contact me any time with questions, and don’t forget to stop by our office on the second floor of Crosby with your student in August. All of us here in the Career Center & GAMP are looking forward to meeting you and working with your student!