Our Blog

By: Kelly Alvarado, Manager, First Year Experience Programs

I want to extend a warm welcome to you, your family, and especially your student as you all embark on this exciting time. My name is Kelly Alvarado. I am the Manager of the First Year Experience Programs. When I started college as a first generation, Latina college student I had to navigate through college resources alone while trying to explain them to my family. Having their support, willingness to hear my challenges, give me praise for a job well done and encouraging me to get involved in campus activities were invaluable to my successes.

For your student, the anticipated transition of starting college, leaving the familiar routines and learning about who they are as a citizen of the world requires the support of family and friends. Thank you for being the foundation that has brought your student to Gonzaga University. Just as my family was committed to my success, your support will be the cornerstone of your student’s ability to flourish at Gonzaga. First Year Experience Programs (FYEP) are grounded in a Jesuit liberal arts education of caring for the whole person and the commitment to preparing men and women for and with others from the moment they walk on campus. I truly believe my work is to further enhance your support by providing the tools, care and inspiring experiences to your student, building upon the foundations you and your family have set. Our community will provide your students with a support net of services because all our offices work together in collaboration to ensure your student is more than just a number.

We understand the transition into college can feel like a path less traveled as your student will navigate meeting new faculty, interacting with others of different lived experience, and making friends. The First Year Experience Program’s emphasis is to be your student’s guide down the college path by reducing barriers for incoming first year students. The goal is to create a smoother transition into collegiate life. Your student is able to visit (we’re located just inside the front door of the Crosby Student Center), call (509-313-4016) or email (firstyearexperience@gonzaga.edu) our office to use the resources we have available to connect them to whatever interests they may have or want to explore. FYEP collaborates with the Divisions of Academic Affairs, Student Development and Mission to create connections with peers, faculty and staff. Whether your student is looking for assistance in academic tutoring, finding a flag football team, or ways to serve the community, we will be able to get them on the right path. Through rich experiences and supportive campus community FYEP is a one-stop resource for your student.

Students are not alone on their college paths. We make a commitment to you today to be the map your student needs for this first year. Please encourage your student to engage with the First Year Experience Programs GUide Map to help them transition into the first six weeks of college; they can win Zag swag! Stay tuned as more information will be available at New Student Orientation.

Again, welcome to the Zag Family and we look forward to having you on campus in August!