By: Rol Herriges (’57)

Note: Although this letter is addressed to the Class of 2015, we thought the information could also benefit parents of seniors.

Dear Gonzaga Class of 2015

Maybe the appropriate introductory phrase here might be “once upon a time” as to when I was a senior at GU and earned my BA in Journalism/Economics. And that’s because the date was in 1957…if you can imagine that!

In my view, senior/alumni interaction was non-existent way back then. But that may have been just me, a non-traditional student – US Navy veteran, 25 years old, lived off campus, a 30-hour a week part-time job, partying at Joey’s and other nefarious actions. And as a senior student, I didn’t even have interaction with many other seniors, much less alumni. Broadcast news was my objective and I didn’t let much else interfere with that… a position that lasted for 15 years.

But over the intervening years (oddly enough, now 57 years!), and since becoming more deeply involved with the GU Alumni Association, I am more convinced how vitally important it is that such interaction does occur. And for as many reasons as there are senior students who want that kind of involvement.

The board of directors for the Spokane Chapter of the Alumni Association, since its inception, has been working diligently on just that subject. In addition, GAMP activities – Treks, career fairs, YPO networking and more – have been underway for several years preceding the board’s founding.

So, for now, let’s see what’s in store for this year’s senior students:

Etiquette Dinner – We invite alumni to join Board members as we help seniors learn about etiquette in work functions, and how to navigate drinking in a professional setting. Alumni will be seated at tables with senior students and will help guide discussion about the ins and outs of formal dining in a business setting. This event will be either Tuesday, January 27 or Wednesday, January 28 (TBD) from 6 to 8 p.m.

Game Watch and Social – Just a fun night for connections between seniors and alumni to cheer on the Zags at Barrister Winery on February 21 (Gonzaga vs. St. Mary’s).

Welcome to the Alumni Association – With graduation only a few weeks away, we welcome our newest members to the Alumni Association over David’s Pizza on Friday, April 24 from 4 to 6 p.m. in the Huetter Mansion parking lot.

The question of jobs, careers if you will, faces this year’s senior students (as it has for eons) and part of the answer is “connections.” I can’t imagine how many GU alumni are in businesses in Spokane, the region and around the world. Many alums started and own some of those companies. Those officers and managers know the value of a degree from Gonzaga. A connection between students and alumni is a good thing.

—Rol Herriges (’57)