By: Danamarie McNicholl-Carter, Employer Outreach and Communications

What do you want to do when you grow up? I took this question lightly until I enrolled at Gonzaga University. Deciding on a college major is a huge decision that will impact my future. I was put at ease when I discovered I was not alone. Studies show that over 60% of college students change majors at least once during their college experience. Parents, expect your students to at least consider, if not actually make the move to a new major. The most important thing to remember is – don’t panic!

Maria Mai, once an electrical engineering major, is now a senior public relations major, hoping to impact the world with her communication skills. She went through quite the journey to discover her true passion. Through a Gonzaga career fair her sophomore year, she landed an engineering internship with Garmin AT. Halfway through her internship, she realized that it was not the engineering that she was drawn to, but the written and verbal communication skills she enjoyed.

Encourage your students to seek internship experience early on in their college career to ensure they are truly passionate about their major. Explore what opportunities are available for professionals with degrees in their areas of interest. In Maria’s case, it was her time at Garmin AT that helped her realize that she did not envision engineering being part of her future. Although your student may choose a different career path, all internships offer valuable experience.

Maria’s successful transition into a PR major was aided by the support of her parents. “My Mom was very supportive because she has a very active faith, and she trusted that if I thought God was calling me to do something, I should do it.  My Dad, on the other hand, was more, I guess one can say… practical.  One of his first questions was, ‘Well, what does a public relations person do?’  Honestly, I had no answer.  He encouraged me to network with current PR professionals to ask them about their jobs.”

Your support and advice will help manage their stress in selecting a major that will fit their passions and post-graduate goals. Help your student reflect on their high school and college experience so far. What courses do they enjoy? See if you can help them identify some patterns in strengths and interests that may be useful in determining a possible major and eventual career path.

Maria will graduate this May and head to Concordia University in Portland to complete her Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT). She hopes to become an elementary school teacher.

Now is a great time for your student to visit the Career Center & GAMP office, so remind them to stop by before they head home for the summer!