gif

fif

Eric Hernandez

Loyola Marymount University Student

Florence was my preferred study abroad program because I have family living in Sicily. My mother’s side of the family comes from Pozzallo, Sicily. A dream of mine has been to visit my Sicilian family, to embrace my Italian heritage and adopt a new culture. This became a reality when I made plans to visit my cousins over Easter weekend. The tightest bond I have made abroad was with my Sicilian family. Visiting family members who I had never met before made me realize the value and love for one another. Although my Sicilian family spoke broken English, my best experiences abroad were when I visited them. They accepted me with open arms and home cooked meals. My experience living with my Sicilian family was a moving and unforgettable experience. I got to see the church where my great-grandmother was married and I met over fifteen family members. Also, one of my family members gave me my first and only haircut during my time abroad! The value of sharing stories and meals with my Sicilian family solidified my choice to study abroad. I am grateful to have family abroad but even more blessed to have had the opportunity to visit them. This experience was priceless and something that will cause me to come back to Italy in the near future. Traveling is a necessity to live and something only the traveler can value, and I’m so grateful for this experience.