Our Blog

screenshot_20161128-132401

By Ava Smith, Class of 2020

There’s no denying that the last three months have been full of undeniable change in my life. Freshman year is one of the most formative years in a young adult’s life. It’s the first step on the path to adulthood. It was long before I had arrived on campus, when I had chosen to spend the next four years at Gonzaga University, one of the most unique and deeply investing universities in the country. I am about to complete my first semester here at Gonzaga, and I’d like to share how the last few months have been, and give some insight to my first semester as an official Zag. And while it has held its challenges, it has truly been a rewarding place to plunge myself into the new-found independence that comes with college life.

It feels like yesterday that I packed up my room, waved farewell to my family and embarked on the rest of my life. If there’s anything that I’ve learned, it’s that I am blessed to be at Gonzaga and to surround myself with driven and intelligent people who are just as passionate about learning (and basketball) as I am. While I’ve had to deal with some difficulties, there has been an overwhelming amount of welcoming love and support that I’ve received from the Gonzaga community. A lot of that love and support came from different resources on campus, including University Ministry, otherwise known as UMin. I embarked on the First Year Retreat a few days before orientation and met the most loving and amazing group of Gonzaga students, who were eager to help with the transition to college. I also got the chance to bond with fellow freshmen and create relationships with them before I even got to campus.

Orientation was nothing short of a whirlwind. I felt slightly ready for the experience, but after orientation, I found myself getting more and more eager for the academic year to start, rather than becoming more nervous for it. I met more people than I ever thought would be possible within the span of two days, and I started unpacking and making the empty dorm my own. As busy as it was, I believe that orientation was a great experience that really helped acclimate me into the community throughout the weekend. I was surprised at how welcoming the entire community was; they were excited to have new Zags grace the campus.

After orientation, and after I said my goodbyes to my family, it was time to focus on school and start getting used to being on campus. I was exposed to so many different amazing and interesting people, and made new friends that I already know will always be a part of my life. There was peace of mind knowing that a lot of other freshman were in the same boat. It was comforting knowing that I wasn’t the only one missing home or feeling slightly overwhelmed by this new change.

As soon as the first week of classes passed, I found that I was more ready for the transition from high school to college courses than I had initially thought. My professors were all very optimistic, welcoming and excited for the coming weeks, which helped ease my worries about the transition from high school to college courses. Classes proved to be slightly difficult, but I had expected that and prepared for it, which made it a nice challenge. I had never been one to really speak up in class, but my professors encouraged it, and encouraged me out of my comfort zone, which proved to be a blessing. Academic Advising and Assistance also helped me with my academic decisions, and helped me feel confident in my major. I was quite blurry on what I initially wanted to do, but after speaking to my advisor, the path to my future was looking clearer than it had before.

I soon got into the swing of things and began to feel at home. There was a sense of community that was present everywhere on campus. One of the most amazing things about Gonzaga is that fact that you can strike up a conversation with any staff, faculty or student, and you won’t be judged or looked at strangely for being friendly. In fact, it’s encouraged here.

I enjoyed how you could smile at other students who passed. I enjoyed how everyone waited to hold the door open for you, even if you were significantly far away from it. I enjoyed how excited everyone was for basketball season, even though it was several months away. I enjoyed how the professors got to know you and actually cared that you were in their class. I enjoyed the SubCo Cookie Nights and Coffeehouse every Wednesday in the Hemmingson Center. I enjoyed the enthusiasm and passion that each day held. I really found myself loving every aspect of Gonzaga.

Throughout these past few months, I have felt myself changing and growing into a more thoughtful person. It’s interesting to think about how Gonzaga has already fostered certain skills in me that I can see becoming more prominent, such as the courage to speak my mind and the cementing of my personal beliefs. It’s amazing to see the kind of things that Gonzaga has done for me in such a short span of time, and I can’t wait to see what kind of person I become after an amazing four years at this school. And I know that at the end of this semester, I can confidently say that there is no other place I’d rather be.

Ava Smith is a freshman from Eagle, Idaho. She is majoring in English with a Writing Concentration and a minor in Public Relations. She is an enthusiastic Zag that loves watching basketball, drinking coffee and writing. Ava gives back her talents as a student office worker in First Year Experience Programs. Her future goals include writing songs, screenplays or novels and sharing them with the world.