By: Rozalyn Piper

The first weeks of our time abroad have come and gone and so much has already been learned and experienced. As the other students and I arrived in Florence, we made connections with new roommates and friends as we explored our home away from home. First on the agenda was opening tour in Rome, Italy. During our time in Rome, I was blown away by the history, magnificent monuments and, of course, the delicious food! The trip enabled me to get to know my fellow study abroad students and opened my eyes to all that Italy has to offer.

Once in Rome, the other students and I were split into seven groups to begin a three-hour guided walking tour of the city. We experienced the beautiful piazzas of the Trevi Fountain and the Three Rivers Fountain in Piazza Navona, along with visiting the Rooms of St. Ignatius and the Church of Jesus. Continuing, we were guided to the Pantheon and ended the tour at Piazza del Popolo, where we had a group dinner. This four course meal allowed for hours of conversation and an amazing introduction to Italian cuisine.

The second day of opening tour, my personal favorite, consisted of a guided tour of the Colosseum and the Roman Forum. The history behind the Colosseum and the Roman Forum was so intriguing; just recently discovered at the Colosseum is an underground basement that held trap doors into the amphitheater. These trap doors were used to make animals appear, as if magically, from the ground when the battles began. Furthermore, the Roman Forums were also rich with history, which our tour guide explained and taught in depth.

After our visit to the Colosseum and Roman Forum, we were fortunate enough to visit the Villa Borghese which is made up of 20 rooms containing classical antiques and sculptures from legendary artists such as Gian Lorenzo Bernini, Rafael, Botticelli, and Caravaggio. The tour guide explained each work of art, including descriptions of the history and the artist.

On the last full day in Rome, we traveled to one of the most well-known churches in the world; the Vatican. This experience was one that I will never forget! With another guided tour, we were able to dive into the history of the Vatican and learn about the statues, works of art and people who were involved in the making of Vatican City.

Overall, the opening tour was a great opportunity to dip our toes into all of what Italy has to offer. From visiting churches, fountains, famous monuments and the Vatican, this trip was informative and extraordinary. I began to grow closer to many of my fellow students and cannot wait for the rest of our journey studying abroad together.