Our Blog

By: University Ministry

This year, University Ministry has five Student Ministers living in the Residence Halls. These interns are taking part in our mission by encouraging the faith development of Gonzaga students through ministry of presence—living with others and encouraging them in their personal faith journeys. Here are introductions from our Student Ministers:

Hi, I’m Isaak Tichenor. Being a human physiology major, you’re most likely to find me in the gym or in Tilford trying to study, but inevitably getting distracted. This will be my junior year living in DeSmet at Gonzaga. I look forward to helping build the community, which has given me two incredible years to start off my college career. I’m very excited to grow in faith with the men of DeSmet and create relationships that will be lasting and meaningful!

Hello!  I am Jacque Larson, a Senior Public Relations major with English and Religious Studies minors. I am the Student Minister in Welch Hall and I am so excited to walk in faith alongside the awesome women of Welch this year. I have volunteered and worked for ministry programs such as Young Life, Gonzaga University Ministry and church youth groups since I was a sophomore in high school, but this year of women’s ministry is special and stands out. Over the last three years at Gonzaga, I have been mentored by beautiful, strong women of faith who have empowered me to share my voice, my opinions and live courageously. I want to continue this empowerment and encouragement in the community of Welch. These women are special, unique and beautiful. They are filled with incredible ideas, hopes, dreams, passion and opinions that are capable of changing the world.  It is my prayer and hope to encourage this community to live freely and courageously, to share in faith and to build a community of love and comfort.

Hello, I am Ally Clapp. I am a senior majoring in Religious Studies and Philosophy, and I am serving as Student Minister in Coughlin. This year I am hoping to watch my definition of what it means to “find God in all things” expand in directions and places I never dreamt it would.  During my time at Gonzaga, and through those friends, mentors, peers, and professors that have ministered to me whether they intended to or not, I have become convinced that ministry looks a lot like letting people know they are known, they are enough and they are loved. And so, I am eager to walk alongside the residents here during the start of their GU journey and to know God more deeply by knowing them.

Hey there!  My name is Lexie Schierman and I have the honor and joy of serving as the Student Minister in Madonna! I am from Puyallup, Washington (home of the Washington State Fair – if you visit, the fair scones are a must-have). I am a Nursing major and am almost finished with my German minor. Some things that I love are mornings, coffee dates, music, running and farm life (at the family wheat farm). To me, one of the best parts of starting a new year at Gonzaga is the opportunity to meet, listen to, support, befriend and encourage the new students who have chosen Gonzaga as their “second home” for the next four years. I am so excited to continue bonding with my fellow Madonna Zags and to discover new ways to support and love each of them throughout the exciting new year!

Hi! My name is Max Milner and I am from Bothell, Washington. I am currently studying Business with a concentration in Finance and Operations. I am beyond excited to have the opportunity of serving as a Student Minister in Catherine Monica. I love to socialize with students, and I hope to use my unique qualities to create friendships with the students living in these halls. In my free time, I also like to play basketball and snowboard during the winter. I hope to challenge these men and women to lead a life that is different than that of the world around them. I will use my influence to positively guide these students so they will have a successful and enjoyable freshman year.