By: Ava Smith, English Major & Promotions Minor, Eagle, ID, Class of 2020

The feeling I got when I first stepped foot on campus last year as a first-year student was one that I will never forget. The people I met that first weekend are ones that I know will always be a part of my life, even after I leave this campus. The experiences I had during those first few days as a college student were fulfilling, as they enlightened me about what exactly this school I had chosen was all about. The experiences I shared with my class during my New Student Orientation were initially what inspired me to return as an Orientation Leader in fall 2017. I wanted to share my own experiences with the incoming students, and be there for them in a way that many returning students were there for me when I first arrived on campus. Essentially, I have found that Orientation Weekend is a showcase of the great things that our community has to offer that set us apart from every other school in the nation. It’s Gonzaga’s way of saying, “we’re so happy you’re here! Let’s get started on this amazing, challenging, rewarding experience together.” That was the attitude that my small group partner and I wanted to portray with every member of our small group, as well as every other first-year student that we encountered. College is a big (and, I’ll admit, sometimes scary) transition, but it’s something that no one has to go through alone. It was clear in our first small group meeting that every student had their own fears and expectations. Right off the bat, I could tell that some of our small group members had their guard up. In fact, I could sense their nerves as soon as they made eye contact with our giant, dancing “80” sign. No one wanted to say the wrong thing, so they said little. Despite their nerves, my partner and I tried to make it a priority to show them how excited we were to have them there, and that they shouldn’t hesitate to be anyone but their genuine selves. It worked. With every small group meeting, I noticed them becoming more at ease with this new adventure as they learned more about what it means to be a Zag.

By the end of the weekend, everyone in Group 80 felt like they were saying goodbye to a chapter in their lives, but saying hello to a whole new one that would bring fulfilling experiences and new friends, and I like to think that my role as an Orientation Leader contributed to that in a way, big or small. I found that through this experience, I learned more about the community that I am in, and witnessed so many connections being made, not only to other people, but to the campus that we all call our home.

The weekend was even more rewarding and inspiring as an Orientation Leader than I imagined it to be, and I can’t wait to check-in with the members of Small Group 80 to see the kinds of amazing things that they find themselves doing during their time at Gonzaga. I remember being in the same position they are in now a year ago, and I can recall how much growth I went through during that year. That growth was initially what drew me into becoming a small group leader and I couldn’t be happier with the experience I had. I hope that in a year, the students I met will look back on their first year with the same humbling feeling that I felt, and that they feel called to take up a leadership position during Orientation so they can continue this wonderful tradition of community that I felt so blessed to be able to participate in.

First Year Experience Programs plans, organizes and executes New Student Orientation. New students will have the opportunity to provide feedback to our student leadership team, GUide Core, at the end of October when the New Student Orientation Benchmarking Survey is sent out. Please encourage your student to share any thoughts, ideas and comments on the survey. The information collected has shifted how we do our programming and we want to make sure students continue experiencing a program that is the right fit for them.

Additionally, GUide Core recruitment will begin in October. GUide Core is comprised of five students who will plan fall 2018 Orientation Weekend starting in January. We say that Orientation is a process, not an event, so our student leaders will stay engaged with our first-year students throughout the entire academic year. Students who are freshman, sophomore and junior standing are welcome to apply. For more information, contact Kelly Alvarado at alvaradok@gonzaga.edu.