Our Blog

By: Center for Community Engagement

The dawn of a new semester means new opportunities to create community at Gonzaga are upon us! Whether or not one of your student’s resolutions was to get more involved with service and social justice on campus, the Center for Community Engagement welcomes them to apply for our 2018-2019 student leadership positions! Our wide range of leadership roles offer the chance to simultaneously build their resume and develop valuable leadership and interpersonal skills. When asked to reflect upon their experience, one student leader shared the following: “during my time as a leader for CCE, I have become far more aware of the issues of inequality—both large and small—that our society faces. Being exposed to these issues has motivated me to keep encouraging others to challenge their outlook on the importance of their own roles.” The passion and self-confidence students build within themselves, while advocating for positive change within the Spokane community, are only a few of the many ways in which students grow while serving. Student leaders will always find support from CCE staff members who care deeply about the development and wellbeing of each volunteer, as well as a wide circle of fellow Zags interested in becoming learners and leaders for social justice. If your student has been itching for the chance to connect with their peers and/or find their niche within the Gonzaga community, encourage them to apply for a CCE leadership position! A list of current position openings for the 2018-2019 school year can be found on our application page. Applications will be considered and accepted on a rolling basis, so tell your student to submit their application today!

“I have a newfound confidence in raising my voice to talk about social justice issues that are important to me. I learned that, although I can by shy, when I find something that I am passionate and educated about, I will speak out for it and defend it. Especially when I have personal human connections to the issue as well.”