Your kids are alive! We have survived over 3 months on the other side of the planet almost entirely on our own. I know it is hard to believe, I hardly believe it myself. But I tell you what, to say we are alive is quite the understatement. And to say we are kids… well, you’ve still got most of us there. But we have grown so much. Prepare yourselves. We will be coming home with a vastly broader global outlook, cultural understanding, and appreciation for free water and bathrooms. And while I like to joke around, I am dead serious when I say thank you. Sending your child off to college is one thing, but knowing that they are on another continent and visiting several countries for the first time is not easy for a lot of parents. I don’t mean to speak for other students, but I believe I am safe in saying that your support has meant so much to your child, even if they might not show it all the time. Grazie mille!

Allow me to reflect on the semester. From school-sponsored trips to partially planned adventures, there really have been no dull moments. On any particular weekend Zags could be found all over Europe taking in the sites, the history, and the culture. Florence alone could be endlessly explored and many of us still feel as if we are just discovering this amazing city. Even during the school week several classes get to take field trips out to museums, monuments, buildings and so on within this historic gem of an area. The opportunities here have been overwhelming. English for Pasta, volunteering and internships, and a school calcetto team (5-on-5 mini soccer) are just a few examples of fun things your Zag got to be a part of all while continuing the great education Gonzaga has to offer. Our eyes have been opened to new things on almost a daily basis.

We have an amazing team of staff and faculty to thank for their guidance, wisdom and friendship. I once heard that relationships are everything, and of all the incredible things we have been fortunate enough to experience, the greatest gift so far is the people who have expanded and diversified our social network. Gonzaga constantly encouraged and helped us to build and strengthen our community of friends across countless different backgrounds and cultures. Zags have made acquaintances in several different countries, and Italy especially, has been so welcoming and hospitable. We are going to miss Italians so very much. Even the language will be hard to let go of.

Allora… It is with a heavy and happy heart that we say goodbye to our newly-found home which will forever be a part of us as we act on the experiences of lessons learned and visions changed during our unforgettable stay here. With great gratitude and excitement, we return to our dearly missed families, friends, and familiarities of America. Oh how time flies when you feel alive!

Arrivederci!

– Evan Cox

Venice school trip