Military Nurses Choose Gonzaga

Nurses often talk about their profession in terms of service—helping and serving others reclaim and maintain their best health. A number of Gonzaga nursing students are also serving in another way—as members of the United States military.

BSN student Kelly Barry is an ROTC cadet, and was already pursuing her degree in nursing at Gonzaga when she enlisted. Kelly had been planning on attending a college in Kentucky until her mother convinced her to tour Gonzaga while in Spokane visiting family. “Within 10 minutes of the tour I was completely and utterly in love. It was the first time that I felt at home on a campus,” Kelly reminisces, “We joke about how often Zags mention community, but it’s real.“ It was a sense of community—the people and the environment ROTC fosters—that drew her to the ROTC program, “I wanted order, and discipline, and the friendships, and knowledge that is fostered in the military environment.” Upon graduating, Kelly will be a reserve office in the U.S. Army.

DNP student Connie Braybrook chose to enlist in the Navy to gain access to the education benefits the military provides. After serving three years as an enlisted sailor, she became eligible to apply for an Officer program (a step that would allow her to gain the college education she desired). She had to decide, in filling out a scholarship application, whether she wished to be a pilot, surface warfare officer, or nursing corps officer. After careful reflection—knowing she wanted to be able to use her degree while active duty—she chose nursing corps.

Connie has earned her BSN and MSN while in the Navy, serving first as a medical-surgical nurse and then as a psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner. Connie shares that “being a military nurse is awesome! The great part of being a military nurse is that I am provided many leadership opportunities as well as opportunities to change jobs if desired. I have had the luxury to gain experiences as a medical-surgical nurse, clinic nurse, inpatient psychiatric nurse, and a PMHNP.” She felt it was time to return to school for her DNP and, after looking at other DNP programs, “found that Gonzaga University was ranked as one of the best universities for veterans, was the most flexible with me pursuing my degree from overseas, and I believed in their mission.  My experience thus far has been outstanding.”

DNP Student Connie Braybrook, on her experience at Gonzaga:

“The program has been easy to navigate, the staff are responsive and assist with all questions/concerns that I have, and my immersion experience helped to put the whole program together…[receiving] mentorship from each of the instructors.  Each semester has been challenging but the learning experience is long lasting and helping me to improve my clinical practice and leadership already.”

Click here to read about Kelly Barry’s experience meeting President Obama this spring.

Furthering the health sciences through applied research and compassionate caretaking. Please click here and select SNHP Excellence Fund as your Gonzaga Will priority to support the SNHP.