1. Tell us about yourself: My name is Sharleen Jackson and I graduated with a B.Ed. degree from the University of Calgary in 1982. Additionally, I earned an MA degree in Administration and Curriculum from Gonzaga University, which I graduated with in 1989.
  2. What are you doing now?: Currently I am a volunteer at both a hospital and within my community. I’ve had a very rewarding career in education that includes teaching, writing and editing educational curriculum, and providing educational services to adult students with disabilities.
  3. Why did you choose a program in the School of Education at Gonzaga? I initially chose the MA program at the School of Education at Gonzaga for a unique reason. My mother, Frances Kapp, was very interested in taking the program and asked if I would like to join her in doing so. Besides being best friends, my mother and I had very similar careers as we were both teachers. The thought of taking a two year MA degree program with my mother seemed both very educational and fun. Also, I had colleagues who had enjoyed attending Gonzaga. I felt that by taking the MA program I could apply what I learned to my role as a teacher and in future opportunities.
  4. What influenced you the most during your time at Gonzaga? Gonzaga had a wonderful community of tremendous educators, and I am grateful to have been taught by them. I was very influenced by Dr. Bob Bialozor, who taught courses in administration and curriculum development. He was very inspiring and enthusiastic, had a super sense of humor, and taught very innovative ideas. You could see that he had a great love for education and a keen interest in the success of all his students. My mother and I also took a course on critical and creative thinking skills that Dr. Bialozor taught in Hawaii. It was a great learning experience, and the skills taught we applied in our teaching.
  5. What was your greatest lesson learned at Gonzaga? My greatest lesson learned at Gonzaga is that learning is infinite and a lifetime journey. Take time along the way to really enjoy the work that you do and the studies that you complete. Be of help to others and do not hesitate to ask for help yourself if need be.
  6. What is the most rewarding aspect of working in your field? Most challenging? The most rewarding aspect of working in my field was in working together with students and colleagues to help students to try and achieve their personal best. When I would see students enthused with work that they had accomplished or projects that they had created I found it very rewarding. Schools, for students of all ages, are communities of learning, and I really liked that sense of community in helping students to learn. It was a privilege for me to have been a part of that.
  7. What critical issues do you see that need to be addressed in your field? I find that some critical issues in education today are similar to those in the past. Funding and appropriate class size are both issues in education that need to be ensured.
  8. What advice do you have for future education professionals? My advice for future education professionals is that education is a wonderful career choice to pursue. Have faith in your abilities and those of others. Work hard, be kind, and laugh often. Both your dedication to and service in education will be deeply appreciated.