What is your name and which degree are you pursuing?

Angela Maccarrone, Master of Education in Clinical Mental Health Counseling

What inspired you to pursue this degree and field, and why did you choose a program in the School of Education at Gonzaga?

I graduated from Gonzaga with my B.A. in psychology in 2016 and knew I wanted to work in the mental health field. After learning about Gonzaga’s CMHC program, I knew the Jesuit and humanistic values aligned with my values of the type of counselor I wanted to be and that this program would be a perfect fit.

What, or who, has influenced you the most at Gonzaga? Please share as much as you are willing.

My experiences with University Ministry both as an undergraduate and graduate student has influenced me significantly and has molded me into the person I am today. Through University Ministry, I have been inspired to spread God’s love and grace and serve others with my gifts.

If you have worked or are currently working in the field (e.g. student teaching or internship), what is the most rewarding aspect of working in your field? Most challenging?

I am a counseling intern at Catholic Charities Counseling and love it! I love sitting with my clients in session and hearing their life stories and being present with them.  As an intern, I constantly have a thirst to learn more. I have to remind myself I am still learning and some skills come with experience over time.

What goals do you have as a future education professional?

I plan on getting my PhD and work in the rehabilitation counseling world. Based on my own personal experiences, I want to work with others with chronic illness and disabilities to give them hope and meaning in their lives despite their adversity.

Learn more about our MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program here.