When it comes to finding a job, nothing beats good, old-fashioned networking – contacting friends, relatives and former colleagues, setting up face-to-face meetings in the hope of getting job referrals. Yes, it is awkward, but here’s why it simply has to be done: At any given time, about 80% of all available jobs aren’t posted in the classifieds or on job boards, says BH Careers International, a New York career-management firm. And 60% of people surveyed by BH said they got their last job by networking.
Here are 10 great networking tips to help you along the way:
- Prepare an “elevator speech” (see our previous blog post).
- Use your existing ties. Spread the word that you’re looking for a job and ask if anyone has a contact that might be able to offer advice.
- Target trade groups. Don’t waste time at big events – join the dominant trade or industry group in your area.
- Show interest in others. Stop focusing on you and what you need – take an interest in the other person. Ask questions and get the contacts talking about themselves and their business experience.
- Don’t ask for a job. Instead, seek advice. People are likelier to be more generous with their time if you’re asking for counsel rather than a job.
- Build relationships. Strangers won’t put their relationship on the line for you – build ties with new contacts before asking for help.
- Don’t be selfish. No matter how desperate you are, remember that networking is a two-way street.
- Don’t abuse relationships.
- Follow through. Write a proper thank-you note. Keep people up-to-date on how things went with interviews, meetings, etc.
- Maintain your network. Cultivate ties even when you aren’t job hunting.
What tips have you found to be helpful in your own networking experience? Let us know!
Attention students interested in working in Southern California! We’ve compiled a list of internships that are located in Southern California at companies such as Time Warner, Northrop Grumman Corp., Northrop Grumman Info System and Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems.
Time Warner (Los Angeles, CA)
- Winter 2013 CNN Entertainment Unit Intern [139341BR], Posting Link: https://internbound.com/internship/10796/
- Winter HLN Dr. Drew Intern [139339BR], Posting Link: https://internbound.com/internship/10797/
- Wintern 2013 HLN Dr. Drew Intern [139338BR], Posting Link: https://internbound.com/internship/10798/
- Spring 2014 Turner Entertainment Networks PR Intern [138953BR], Posting Link: https://internbound.com/internship/10799/
Northrop Grumman Corp. (Palmdale, CA)
- College Intern Administrative Intern , Posting Link: https://internbound.com/internship/10804/
- College Intern Information Technology , Posting Link: https://internbound.com/internship/10806/
- College Intern Project Engineering , Posting Link: https://internbound.com/internship/10807/
- College Intern Technical , Posting Link: https://internbound.com/internship/10808/
Northrop Grumman Info Systems (Carson, CA)
- College Intern Administrative , Posting Link: https://internbound.com/internship/10805/
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems (Redondo Beach, CA)
- College Intern Technical , Posting Link: https://internbound.com/internship/10809/
- College Intern Technical Intern , Posting Link: https://internbound.com/internship/10810/
- College Intern Technical – Power Electronics Intern , Posting Link: https://internbound.com/internship/10811/
- College Intern Technical – Product Engineering , Posting Link: https://internbound.com/internship/10814/
- Manufacturing Engineering Intern , Posting Link: https://internbound.com/internship/10815/
Northrop Grumman Corp. (San Diego, CA)
ZagTrax.net Job #10969
AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) has a few openings for AVID Tutors at Garry Middle School in Spokane.
Part-time opportunity for GU students to get some great experience in the classroom!
AVID Tutors will work in the classroom Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:45-12:45 with students who have been identified as having incredible potential to be first generation college students. This is a neat opportunity for any student (all majors!) considering education as a career to get some experience in the classroom, and is not only for teacher education students!
ZagTrax.net Job #10969
Join Tableau for Student Careers Night
When: Tuesday, August 6, 4:00pm
Where: Tableau Seattle headquarters:
837 N 34th St, Suite 200
Seattle, WA 98103
Tableau’s mission is to help people see and understand data…
…and we’re helping customers do just that all over the world! Come learn more about what it’s like to work at Tableau and consider joining us on our important, world-changing mission.
Visit our headquarters on Student Night to hear about our technology, experience our culture, and learn about jobs that could be the perfect fit for you, a recent graduate or current student. At this informational event, you could be hearing about roles within…
-Sales (both technical and non-technical)
…and we can’t wait to tell you about them!
“It will be fantastic to see some local Gonzaga students and recent alumni there!”
Register online at: http://tableausn.eventbrite.com
4:00pm – Welcome and Product Demo
4:30pm – Break-out Information Sessions
5:15pm – Networking and Office Tours with Tableau Employees
*Light refreshments will be served
Who is hiring this week in Colorado?
Check out a sampling of jobs posted this week on Andrew Hudson’s Jobs List.Week of May 13, 2013
College students looking for a summer internship take note! Several companies are searching for interns. A Marketing Intern is being sought by the Business Enterprise Institute in Louisville. Cohn Marketing is searching for a Public Relations and Social Media Intern and iTriage is looking for two interns: a Public Relations Intern and a Marketing Intern (Branding). The Love Hope Strength Foundation is hiring a Booking Manager Intern and the Nathan Yip Foundation is looking for a Social Media Intern. The Arvada Center for the Arts and Humanities is hiring an Online Media/Public Relations Intern.
A Sr. Director of Operations – Experiential Marketing, is being sought by EventPro Strategies.
A Business Development Representative is being sought by InsightSoftware.com and the Professional Ski Instructors of America & American Association of Snowboard Instructors needs a Special Projects Editor in their Lakewood office.
A Development Communications Manager is being hired by the USAFA Endowment in Colorado Springs. DISH is looking for a Corporate Communications Manager and the Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce is hiring a Communications Editor. The Denver Public Schools is looking for a
In the agency world, The Integer Group® is hiring an Associate Creative Director/Digital, an Office Manager is needed at PILGRIM Advertising and Barnhart Communications is looking for a Project Account & Social Media Coordinator. Eyemax is seeking an Account Manager and Four Winds Interactive is hiring a Systems (Sales) Engineer.
Miles Partnerships needs a Digital Media Planner, everyone’s favorite lingerie store, SOL, is hiring a Freelance Social Media Consultant and an Email Deliverability Specialist is being sought by Teradata.
There are several financial related positions listed today including a CFO by It’s Never 2 Late, a Comptroller by Veterans Green Jobs, and mpowered is looking for a Bilingual Financial Coach. The Denver Montclair International School is hiring a Director of Finance and Accounting.
The Better Business Bureau Denver/Boulder has four jobs listed today: a CEO Executive Assistant and Manager of Human Resources, a Business Relations Communications Specialist (Business Retention Specialist) a Business Relations Representative, (Sales) and an Assistant to the Vice President of Sales.
These are just a sampling of the hundreds of jobs available this week on AH Jobs List. Go to THE LIST to see all the jobs posted and then click on the category to get the full job descriptions.
ZAGTRAX JOB POSTING # 10241
Coeur d’Alene, Idaho
Full-Time, Entry Level Position Details:
- Bachelor degree required (Finance or Accounting preferred).
- Must know QuickBooks, have a financial background, ability to multi-task, handle confidential information, maintain financial records, prepare reports and receive special projects from top management.
- Must be reliable, efficient, professional, have the ability to work under pressure with minimal guidance, and meet deadlines.
- Reports to CEO of real estate and development company.
- $3,500 month for qualified applicants.
- Flexible with hire date.
Jobs in Publishing – Walla Walla, WA
Below is a link to the job openings at Coffey Communications.
Some of the jobs are entry-level and some of the jobs do require experience.
The Director of Creative Services, Client Relations, and Publishing Operations at Coffey Communications is a Gonzaga alum (English major)!
Entry Level Accounting Position in Seattle
Daniels Real Estate is seeking a ZAG for an entry level business accounting position!
This highly successful company offers unlimited possibilities for professional growth!!
Apply through ZagTrax.net under Job # 10044
“I think we all need a little pep talk…”
What can I do with a Gonzaga Liberal Arts Degree?
Don’t Miss This Event!
Tuesday, March 26th @ 5:30 p.m.
Foley Teleconference Room
Hear Career Advice from a GU Alum who Works at Microsoft as he talks about Leveraging Your GU Experience in Your Job Search and Career Path!
Great tips for Liberal Arts & Business majors alike!
RSVP appreciated through ZagTrax.net
Bio of Rick Collins:
A GU alum with a Bachelor of Arts in Business and Communications, Rick Collins is currently Director of Business Development at Microsoft, with a focus on partnerships with Mobile phone companies and Broadband service providers to jointly distribute Microsoft devices and services to consumers and businesses around the world.
With a career spanning multiple industries including broadcasting, corporate marketing and communications, business training and education, and consumer software and services, Rick has consistently called on important learnings from his GU experience to help drive his own personal success and the success of the people and companies he has worked with throughout his career.
He joins us Tuesday, March 26th to share his insights on career success, and his thoughts on using the unique value of the GU experience and education for career advancement and growth.