Friday August 29, 2014 marks the beginning of the new school year with orientation and most of the first year students moving into their assigned residence hall. We are expecting over 1000 students to descend on campus that day, along with their vehicles, parents, siblings and belongings. For the safety of all persons involved, we are requesting the following:
– Please avoid driving in the northeast portion of the campus from 7am-5pm. Traffic flow in that area will be slow and even stopped at several times, especially with the construction of the new University Center.
– Be aware that some streets and alleys normally used by employees will be closed most of the day.
– There will be no southbound traffic allowed on Cincinnati from Desmet to Lower Kennedy. At that location, Cincinnati will be temporarily restricted to “one way” northbound only until Madonna and Catherine Monica unloading is completed.
– If you must get to the Law School parking area that day and are arriving from the north, please drive southbound on Hamilton to westbound Springfield and then onto Cincinnati to reach the parking lot.
– Pedestrian traffic in all parts of our campus will be quite heavy. Our visitors may be concentrating on other things and not be sufficiently wary of vehicle traffic. Please watch out for them!
– Overall, parking in all lots and areas of campus will be impacted by this event. The Athletic lots north of the Centennial Trail, and the BARC have been designated as “long-term parking” for this weekend. To expedite the move-in process, parents and students will be directed to park at these locations after unloading.
Your patience and goodwill are the keys to a successful day as we embrace the spirit of the new school year. On behalf of the entire security team, let us thank you in advance for your consideration and cooperation in making this event work as planned.
Please click on the the link below to see a map of traffic flow for opening weekend: