Chi-Urban Excursion

Lessons of the Day

March 14, 2013 · No Comments

Today began at the crack of dawn (aka 8 am) with a chai tea latte and blueberry scone at the Bourgeois Pig. Unfortunately, the breakfast was not as good as the name, but it was a successful trip nonetheless.
Our first Chi-Urban activity of the day was at the  National Museum of Mexican Art. I actually wish we’d spent more time in the museum because there were so many fantastic pieces. At any rate, we went on a tour around Pilsen. There were some very cool murals with so much history (from political leaders to famous singers) within them. Jose showed the group his print studio and we had a DELICIOUS lunch at Nuevo León.

After lunch, we met up with the Reverend Saunders. He gave us a tour of the South Side of Chicago. Once again, there were so many murals. The murals have probably been my favorite aspect of the trip. I feel like in Washington and Oregon, people grafitti because they’re jerks and have nothing better to do. But the murals in Chicago serve as inspiration, group pride, and a reminder of history. We saw many distinct and impoverished neighnorhoods similar to Pilsen on this tour as well. It was shocking to go a block from a predominantly black and poorer neighborhood to a predominately white and thriving one. At any rate, after the tour, the remainder of the day was free time.
I actually have a friend from high school attending DePaul University-a mere four blocks from the hostile. It was great to visit with her and I’m pleased to report that college seems to be treating her well.
I was also able to do some of the more touristy things. I went to the 103rd floor of the Willis (Sears) Tower and enjoyed walking along the Magnificent Mile. My ten year old self died in the American Girl store and I just about died in the  Ghirardelli shop. It was a beautiful night so I walked quite a bit (resulting in a fairly gory blister). I was so in awe of the city that I forgot about dinner and, apparently in Lincoln Park, nothing is open past 10. So dinner wa a McDonald’s salad and some 7Elleven Milk Duds.
Lessons of the day?
1. Chicagoans are generally bad drivers.
2. Eat dinner before 10 on week night.
3. Get the enchilada with red sauce at Nuevo León.
4. L trains=fastest form of transportation in the city (–>Spokane needs a better system)
Okay, in all seriousness. Chicago is a great city but it’s almost sickening to see such distinct neighborhoods. Together the neighborhoods make a diverse city, but there is very little diversity within them. It’s sad to go from the incredibly impoverished Bronzeville where one can hardly afford fresh produce to the downtown area where people are dropping 100s of dollars on clothing and accessories. Something clearly needs to change. As a fellow Chi-Urbanite pointed out, the sense of activism within the different communities is so strong. It gives me hope for the people of Chicago, that some unity among the different groups of people can be formed.
Caitlyn Grant
Sophomore
Accounting & Human Resources Major; History Minor

Categories: Uncategorized