Chi-Urban Excursion

A Full & Enlightening Day

March 16, 2013 · No Comments

Thursday began a bit slowly…waking up had become more and more difficult as the week progressed. However by 9:15 we were off to Boyztown to the Center on Halsted-a safe haven for those who identify with the LGBTQ community. I didn’t know what to expect, but I was pleased with what I found. The building itself it 3 stories tall, the interior is bright and cheeryand invokes a sense of hominess to the lobby. Through the tour we were informed of the different types of services provided by the facility. Overall the organization impressed me. It is a facility to help support people of all ages who identify as LGBTQ in whatever they can-it gives them a safe place to be themselves, especially when they’re in need of support. We discussed a bit about the attitude of the community to the center as we walked through the Center and it seems that there has been progress in the way the Center is perceived by the community that surrounds them. The aspect of this center that impacted me the most is not only the various ways that it assists those in need but that it promotes such a sense of well being for the person’s emotional and mental and physical state-all for no cost to those who go.

After the tour we had a discussion with David Zak, a longtime advocator for LGBTQ rights. The discussion was fruitful and definitely a test of where we stood on LGBTQ issues. It definitely made me consider where I stand but also it made me aware of how little I know of the LGBTQ community. I never grew up around people who associated with this community and thus I never was exposed to it and know very little of it. It was quite useful to affirm my stance in that people should NEVER be discriminated against or treated poorly because of their sexual orientation. I feel that I realized, through this discussion, that while I’m a pretty conservative person I’ve never felt that I or anyone has the right to judge someone, and much less condemn them for the way they choose to live their lives. Many people receive organizations such as the Center on Halsted and advocates for the LGBTQ community, like David Zak, in a poor manner. I’ve always been of the thought that being respectful of others isn’t a question of agreeing or disagreeing with their beliefs, or choices, or in this case sexual orientation. It was great to know that this facility has become such a useful resource to the LGBTQ community in Chicago and that they’ve done so much good for so many people.

Following this we took a tour of the Loop District and got to see beautiful architecture of this area. The biggest impact during this hour and a half of walking in and out of the cold Chicago wind was that architecture is part of the city’s personality. It tells stories and histories and even affects how people view the city. It is a form of expression and Chicago’s architectural personality is rich and full of tall buildings designed by very talented-albeit very different- people.

We ended the night with the Fall of Heaven a play about a man named Tempest who gets gunned down and faces judgmentby none other than Saint Peter in all his glory. Shockingly, Tempest refuses his judgment and is sent back to earth so that he may see and admit that he belongs in Hell, as Peter stated he did. Tempest is assigned to and angel named Joshua who is in charge of making him see his sins and admit his wrongdoings. He goes on to show Heaven’s finest that right and wrong, good and bad are not quite as black and white as they may seem, and that the best way to really KNOW about something is to experience it oneself. That angel was on for a crazy ride and a true test of if his knowledge of good and evil. It was an excellent metaphysical issue to end the night and make one think about exactly where on stands on that spectrum of the moral right and wrong.

Overall the day was excellent and quite enlightening. The communities we saw showed me the importance of expanding my knowledge of the communities within my own and helping those in need. I was impressed by how Chicago has so much to offer and readily provides issues with which may have to give much thought to and wrestle with in order to understand one’s own position on the subject.

Carolina Montufar

Sophomore

Biochemistry Major

Categories: Uncategorized