Academic Read #9: Orientation’s Service Event with the Zag Volunteer Corps

From our Statement of Affirmation: The values of a Jesuit University include that “each work of the [University] is dedicated to the service of faith, of which the promotion of justice is an absolute requirement.”

Being a Zag means more to me than attending class, camping out in Tent City, or winning intramural championships. It means more than making friends for life, studying late at night, or discovering my career. At Gonzaga, we are called to live greater, to step outside of our comfort zones and engage in what St. Ignatius, founder of the Jesuits, calls the “Magis,” literally “the more.” In light of this tradition, the Center for Community Action and Service-Learning (CCASL, pronounced “castle”) is launching the Zag Volunteer Corps – a series of one-day service projects happening throughout the academic year. The first-ever Zag Volunteer Corps event is a part of your New Student Orientation and you’re encouraged to join us on Saturday, September 6th. You’ll get to spend the day serving alongside fellow new students, meeting upperclassmen, and getting to know your new home here in Spokane.

I know from experience how easy it is to get carried away with on-campus activities and dorm life, but part of what makes Gonzaga special is our community- both on campus and off. My collegiate experience became so much richer once I started exploring the greater Spokane area through service. Spokane isn’t just a place I’m visiting for four years. It’s my home now, too. I invite you to sign-up, to become connected, to ignite the “Magis” through Zag Volunteer Corps this fall. We are counting on the Class of 2018 to make its mark in the Jesuit tradition of service for and with others. Join us.

Laura Regester is a Senior Journalism Major from Phoenix, AZ, and is a Small Group Leader for the Zag Volunteer Corps.

Sign up for Orientation’s service event with the Zag Volunteer Corps HERE. Be sure to register before spots fill up! O-Core cannot wait to serve alongside our new fellow Zags! 

IGNITE Question: How will you find the Magis at Gonzaga?