Students moving into CM

Open Doors, Open Minds

Hi new Zags! My name is Todd Guse and I am a senior majoring in Mechanical Engineering. I also work at Gonzaga as an RA (Resident Assistant). I went to Skyline High School in Sammamish, Washington. In my spare time, you may find me playing Spikeball on some of the  great outdoor spaces on Gonzaga’s campus.

From the Mission Statement: “…Gonzaga models and expects excellence in academic and professional pursuits and intentionally develops the whole person — intellectually, spiritually, culturally, physically, and emotionally.”

In my three years in the residence halls at Gonzaga, as well as working with students, there is one trend that I have noticed: students who are most engaged in the Gonzaga community  have their door open when they are in their room. This invites other students to stop by, socialize, and connect with others. Leaving my door open is how I met some of my best friends!

Finding a group of friends is a great way to explore the Gonzaga community, and to venture into opportunities that you may take advantage of with those friends. As a result of something as small as an open door, I have attended different CCASL (Center for Community Action & Service-Learning) events that help Habitat for Humanity and the Lands Council. As a result of an open door, I have participated in intramural sports like flag football and softball with other residents from my residence hall. As a result of an open door, I have had great talks with my friends late into the night. How awesome is that!?

Just think about the great opportunities that could be available outside your door. Your next study partner could be walking past your room or your new best friend could be down the hall! You never know who you’ll meet. 

If leaving your door open isn’t your thing, take a walk around campus! You never know who you’ll meet, or the activities that you can get involved in. All it takes is looking at posters, or finding your favorite place to sit outside.

Opening your door may lead to you having an open mind as you grow and develop as an individual as well as part of the Gonzaga community. Ultimately, the choice is yours, and current Zags will help you all in any way that we can. 

See you soon and go Zags!

Todd Guse is a senior majoring in Mechanical Engineering and also works as a Resident Assistant in Goller.