Rahmi Nemri: Post #2

Since I’ve last checked in I have been up to a lot of exploring. So far I have traveled to Munich, Amsterdam, Paris, and Berlin. There hasn’t been a place that I haven’t loved! But I continue exploring while back in London. When I am not in class or doing work I try to explore a new area, café, park, museum, or market. I’ve even joined a local kayaking club where I kayak in the canals in the middle of the city. One of my favorite things to do is to spend the day at a place like the Camden Market, eat some great street food and browse the booths with some friends.

Street Art at Brick Lane

Street Art at Brick Lane: There is amazing street art all over an area called Brick Lane that is home to London’s Bengali community and one of my favorite markets. Brick lane is world-famous for it’s street art from artists such as Banksy, Skix, and ROA. The picture above is one of my favorite pieces of art, the artist is unknown.

London Skyline

London Skyline from Primrose Hill: This is my favorite view of London from the top of Primrose Hill near Camden in the Northwest of London.

Since being in London my experiences have intersected with all of the Act Six themes, but what I noticed soon after I arrived was the great amount of diversity. London is known as one of the most multicultural cities in the world. It is not uncommon to walk down the street and hear 4-5 different languages being spoken. Queen Mary University of London is also very diverse, with over 150 different nationalities and over 5 thousand international students. I have had many interactions with individuals who come from backgrounds much different than mine and from many different countries. I have tried to learn as much as I can about the different individuals that I meet. One of my most memorable conversations was with a 40-something German man in Berlin, where we talked about the German outlook on life in Germany and Berlin in particular. Coming into contact with all of this diversity has really deepened my appreciation for the variety of worldviews and outlooks on life. The great diversity in London has been the most obvious and influential experience during my time here thus far.