1. Tell us about yourself: Dara Zurfluh, Principal Certification, 2017
  2. What are you doing now?: Assistant Principal, Sumner School District
  3. Why did you choose a program in the School of Education at Gonzaga? I chose Gonzaga because of the high recommendation that the program was given by past graduates.  I valued the beliefs of the institution and the incorporation of the student as a whole. 
  4. What influenced you the most during your time at Gonzaga? Dr. Cynthia Johnson influenced me the most.  She is a spit fire that will go to bat for her beliefs, and if she believes in you, you will have a forever ally.  She has high standards that she brings everyone up to, and instills a belief in each and every student.  She answers all questions at any given time of day or night, any day of the week.  I am so thankful to have been influenced by her!
  5. What was your greatest lesson learned at Gonzaga?  My greatest lesson is that adequacy is not enough.  I can do so much more than be average.  Gonzaga and Dr. Johnson believed in me to push myself that much more.
  6. What is the most rewarding aspect of working in your field? Most challenging? The most rewarding aspect of being in education is being able to influence students.  They are the core, and seeing their growth is a reward like no other.  The most challenging is the bureaucracy in education; the hoops and laws that administrators have to maneuver through.  
  7. What critical issues do you see that need to be addressed in your field? Funding is the most obvious issue right now.  In addition, something I am passionate about and have learned a great deal about from Dr. Johnson, is the regional teacher shortage and the other mediocre institutions out there awarding certificates to students that do not fully understand the teaching pedagogy.  It is frightening that so many people are earning quick endorsements to try and capitalize on the teaching shortage. 
  8. What advice do you have for future education professionals? Follow your heart, learn as much as you can, be open minded, and always continue to learn yourself!