1. Tell us about yourself: My name is Clare Sykora (Alexander). I completed my Bachelor of Education in Special Education (’08) and Master of Education in Special Education – Functional Analysis (’11).
  2. What are you doing now?: I am finishing up my 9th year of teaching self-contained classes in public schools and will begin to teach at the Spokane Guilds School in July.
  3. Why did you choose a program in the School of Education at Gonzaga? I chose GU for my undergrad degree to be able to earn both my elementary and special education certifications within four years. I chose to return to GU for my masters degree because of the concise nature of the FA program (1 1/2 years) and the flexibility of the classes when I was still working during the days. Also, it was great to be able to work with my former professors and obtain my early childhood special education certification at the same time.
  4. What influenced you the most during your time at Gonzaga? Dr. Anjali Barretto was immensely integral to my choice of occupation. I took her Psychology of the Exceptional Child class and the service-learning component changed how I viewed the world. I volunteered at L’Arche and quickly learned how special it was to participate in helping individuals learn skills. The joy that each successful step brings me is my motivation to continue to serve those with disabilities. Dr. Barretto’s direction and support from that point forward shaped both the way I learn and the educator I am today.
  5. What was your greatest lesson learned at Gonzaga? The most important lesson I learned while at GU was that it doesn’t matter if each moment is perfect, it is the ultimate outcome that results in how impactful one’s work is.
  6. What is the most rewarding aspect of working in your field? Most challenging? Working in the Special Education field takes patience, love, and consistency. My largest rewards come when a student achieves their goals and teaching them to be proud of those achievements. Smiles. Smiles and laughter keep me working in the field. The most challenging component of working with individuals with special needs is lack of education from those surrounding us. It takes a lot of understanding and acceptance for people to support the work we do with students and the more we can educate them on how influential our work is, the better.
  7. What critical issues do you see that need to be addressed in your field? In my opinion, a critical issue that needs to be addressed in the field of Special Education is the need for funding to address early intervention. Although IDEA Part C partially funds early intervention, the more attention and therapies we can provide for at an earlier age, the better chance of individuals not needing interventions later in life; or for as long of a time span.
  8. What advice do you have for future education professionals? Chocolate. There will be times, situations, and issues that will make you want to cry and moments that will make you question your choice of profession. When those moments arise, open your always stocked drawer and pop a chocolate in your mouth. Savor the flavor and laugh. Laugh because it will make you feel better and embrace the moment. It will happen again and you will always learn to keep more chocolate on hand 🙂