What is your name, which degree did you earn, & what year did you graduate?

Marin Hatcher- BS Biochemistry (2013) MIT Secondary Education (2014)

What is your current occupation or role?

Physical Science and Chemistry Teacher, Cheney High School, Cheney, WA

Why did you choose a program in the School of Education at Gonzaga?

I had a friend in the cohort before mine who absolutely loved the MIT program at Gonzaga. Additionally, I had such an amazing experience in my undergrad years, I decided to keep the good thing going.

What, or who, influenced you the most at Gonzaga? 

I felt like I have always bonded with Suzann Girtz. She has always been very real with how she speaks about the career. She does a great job at preparing her students for teaching, and is very supportive. She also has a great sense of humor that really helps her relate to her students. She was always great to brainstorm with about issues that arose in placements, or student teaching.

Additionally, I love the culture that surrounds education at Gonzaga. There has always been such a positive spin around education, and the program is really designed to put us ahead of the curve. Once I entered my job, I felt like I was ahead of the majority of other first year teachers that I was interacting with.

What was your greatest lesson learned at Gonzaga?

I learned how to really think critically about problems as they arose, and to really dig beneath the surface to get the whole picture. Many times in the last few years, I have been presented with a challenging situation, especially with students that do not fit the norm or need something different from me. Because of Gonzaga, I feel like I am a much more empathetic educator. I was taught to see the student as a whole person, instead of just a grade or problem

What is the most rewarding aspect of working in your field? Most challenging?

I love working with kids and having them walk into my room with smiles on their faces. And like all educators, I love seeing their faces when they finally understand something that has been difficult.

The most challenging part is learning how to differentiate a class, while still keeping high standards and my sanity. Also, balancing the many distinct personalities in a room definitely keeps me on my toes!

What critical issues do you see that need to be addressed in your field?

I think that there has been a shift to where educators are becoming the main parents for many students. We are the first to hold a lot of them accountable, and get very little support from home. Also, there is a lack of confidence in education that is emerging that can be challenging to deal with.

What advice do you have for future education professionals?

Before you do anything, get to know your students. Building a relationship with all of them, even the harder to love ones, is hands down the most effective way to deal with the majority of problems. Students will work more for someone that they feel is invested in them as a person. A quick check in, or a silly ice breaker every once in a while, will pay off in spades!

Additionally, let kids get to know you. Talk about your life, and interests. Being real with them will help them trust you.