Please tell us a bit about yourself.

My name is Elisabeth Bennett, but I have been called Lisa all of my life.  I’m from a very small town in the far coastal north of California in the heart of the redwoods.  My parents both came from loving hardworking farm folk who knew the value of hard work and the discipline needed to fulfill it and to instill these values in all six of their children.  I find great joy in my work whether it be teaching, counseling, or caring for our home, land, and family.  I’m rather shy but learned early to connect to others and to be brave enough to serve no matter the crowd.  I treasure deep friendships, human dignity, and the art of working together for the common good.

What does an average day in the School of Education look like for you?

I often arrive early and appreciate the quiet in the 5 a.m. hour in our building.  I provide a few hours of counseling each week often in these early morning hours to professionals and their partners and families before they head into their work lives.  I teach mostly clinical courses and assessment as well as professional seminar with the steady stream of independent studies in areas of expertise all year round.  I used to be committed to administrative duties which I can’t say I terribly enjoyed but at which I was efficient and effective.  Now, I mostly enjoy time with my students and with colleagues who value joint efforts.  I am deeply committed to helping students reach their goals and grow as they need and desire.

How did you find your way into your field and into teaching in a university setting?

I was a punky 21 year old with a mentor professor who encouraged me to consider and develop into this field.  I became committed to counseling while working with my first client who found her way through a messy divorce and into a life of self-created joy.

What is the most rewarding part of your day?

Every time a student moves out of a stuck spot into their own…there is nothing like knowing that your student is about to go out into the world and love and serve better than they would have without that growth.

Are you involved in other groups or organizations (on- or off-campus)?

I support the board (ex-officio member) of REACH! For the Future.  This group of mostly GU alums has supported an entire grade level of students from Lidgerwood all the way from second grad to their last of high school.  They will soon go on to post secondary education and training which REACH will pay for and continue to provide the support to help them be successful.  Talk about really giving back and changing the landscape for so many!  I have many such projects going and have a keen heart for those that make for a more equitable world.

Do you have a particular research area that you are interested in?

I am about to travel to SE Asia where a pack of students, alums, and I will observe elephant mothers, nannies, and calves for human-like attachment behavior.  I’m deeply fond of helping others learn about attachment and how to grow secure attachments in couples.  I am also steeply vested in examining and practicing creativity in counseling.

What advice do you have for future practitioners in your field?

Love is a win-win.  Build it everywhere you can.