Love To Give: Zag Family Traditions

It was sometime around Halloween in 1970 when Gonzaga junior Mark Casey (’72) called sophomore Kathy (Evoy) Casey (’73) for a date.

“He just called me up and asked, ‘do you want to go out with me?’” Kathy recalled. “He said, ‘I don’t know if you know me –’ and I said, ‘Oh yeah, I know you…’”

“You could say we met around,” Mark said with a laugh.

“Gonzaga has a lot of things that just draws people together,” Kathy remarked. “I think sharing the experience, making memories together doing really fun things as we all went through school – it progresses from there.”

“Several of our friends paired off, in fact,” Mark added.

Mark came to Gonzaga from Yakima in 1968 to study political science. As an undergraduate, he spent one year as a Resident Assistant in DeSmet and was a Resident Director during his senior year. His Gonzaga experience and inspiration to remain connected were greatly defined by the teachings and friendship of Father Frank Costello, S.J.

“He was the chair of the Political Science Department,” Mark recalled. “He came to Gonzaga my sophomore year from Seattle University. I took a couple of classes from him and later, when I was in law school, I worked for him. Our political thinking was closely aligned and I really enjoyed his teaching style. Through that, he became my mentor and friend. I learned from him and all the Jesuit teachings the importance of giving back and being a good steward in the community over the years.”

For Kathy, Gonzaga was part of a a family tradition. Her uncle, Father John Evoy, S.J., was the chair of the Psychology Department for several years. She and three of her four siblings attended GU.

“The second I got here, I was sold,” said Kathy of her first visit to campus. “It was just so welcoming.” More than 40 years after that first visit, her positive feelings about the school have only grown. “I made so many friends, the education was superb, I never regretted it for a second – I am just so proud. I’m proud to come back because I feel like it’s mine. Every time I come back to Gonzaga I’m transported back to when I was a freshman. I get the feeling that students now are having the same experience I did – that this is their home, their community and their Jesuit-inspired education.”

“We’ve seen the children of so many friends go to Gonzaga and they’ve felt very similar things,” agreed Mark, whose GU experience took him from his undergraduate degree all the way through Gonzaga Law School. Kathy received her bachelor’s degree in education and has taught several levels, from second grade to college courses.

The Caseys raised three kids together in Spokane and are still very actively involved with Gonzaga. They’re basketball season ticket-holders, participate in alumni gatherings and have even included the University in their will.

“It’s important for us to think about the legacy we want to leave,” said Mark. “There has always been a real sense of community here and that’s why we want to give back.”