Gracey and Richard Altree

Finding A Way To Finish

Last fall, Gracey Altree (’16) lost her father when he passed away suddenly.

Thankfully, she was able to be with him during his last days in Portland. In their final moments together, he told her to finish her degree at Gonzaga.

As a stellar student, Altree had never been concerned about finishing college before her dad passed away. But after his death, she dreaded coming back to campus for her last semester. The only thing holding her here was the promise she made to her dad, with the knowledge that her education was so important to him.

Altree sought scholarship aid to finish her degree in public relations with a minor in sports management. She was offered the Brotherly Order of the YoYos Scholarship, which provides funds for Gonzaga seniors facing hardship.

“It is so important to me to feel like I have people who are rooting for me during this time,” Altree said. “This scholarship supports me more than just financially. When I’m able to in the future, I hope to provide a similar scholarship under my dad’s name for students who are going through similar struggles.”

By Megan O’Malley (’16)

Learn more about the group of philanthropic friends known as the Brotherly Order of the YoYos in this recent article published in Gonzaga Magazine, celebrating their 50th anniversary.