Scholarships In Action

Nicole Barnhart, Pearson Family Scholarship Recipient

Nicole, a junior majoring in psychology with a business minor, comes to Gonzaga from Wenatchee. She is the first from her family not only to attend Gonzaga, but to go to any four-year university. She loves being at GU. “I see Gonzaga as being the best university in Washington. I love the people here. The professors are amazing! They really get you motivated. And because I heard how great the study abroad program was here, I had to do it. One of the best experiences of my life!” She studied in the Gonzaga-in-Florence program, and during that time traveled to several other countries in Europe, including Switzerland. “My favorite part about it was skydiving over the Swiss Alps. Absolutely unforgettable!”

Her professional goal is to become a family therapist. To help achieve that goal, she currently interns with Spokane Psychology and Neuropsychology, and plans to pursue a Master of Arts degree in counseling after she receives her Gonzaga undergraduate degree.

When she’s not studying or working at her internship, one of her favorite activities is competing in triathlons.  “It’s a great way to stay in shape!”

She is deeply grateful for receiving the Pearson Family Scholarship: “Thank you so much for helping me reach my goal of someday helping others with my psychology education that I’m gaining here at Gonzaga. It really means the world to me.”

Story by: Carol Bonino, Gonzaga University