GU student Rick Peshel is passionate about financial aid

Sophomore Rick Peshal

Sophomore Gonzaga student Rick Peshel has always been interested in legislative issues, and when he realized just who and what could be affected by the passage of the H.R. 1 bill, he decided to educate his fellow students about the bill and write to U.S. Senator Lisa Murkowski.

*Excerpts from his letter to Senator Murkowski:

“Two of my best friends, Duncan H. and Anthony L., have numerous loans and grants including the Federal Pell Grant.  After interviewing them about their financial aid reward and what their education means to them personally, I realized that many of us depend on grants to help finance our education and it is these grants specifically that give us the amazing opportunity to attend a university such as Gonzaga.  What is devastating is that the H.R. 1 bill erases opportunity from millions of prospective college students to attend the college of their dreams, and puts thousands of current U.S. college students in a financial predicament in which they must now come up with thousands of dollars to continue their education.”

“Two major cuts I do wish to express now are the first two listed, Federal Pell Grants and Supplemental Grant Aid. H.R. 1 eliminates about 1.7 million students from the Pell Grant Program, and lowers the other grants for the remaining 9 million low-income students. In regards to the supplemental grants, Gonzaga University alone will lose about $550,000 in Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants if H.R. 1 is passed, which are specifically for the poorest of college students.  These two cuts alone are drastic enough to show the negative effects H.R. 1 has on student financial aid programs, and for what politicians would explain is necessary in lowering the deficit.”

End excerpts

Now, in order for you to get to know Rick and why he is so passionate about helping students receive financial aid, read on…

Name: Rick Jordan Peshel

Major: Bachelors of Science in Economics with a minor in finance and psychology.

Extracurricular activities or club involvement: Intramural Soccer, (APO) Alpha Phi Omega

Future goals: “It may sound ridiculous, but I would love to design an economic policy that benefits the U.S. economy.”

How have you been involved in the federal financial aid issues? “I have sent numerous letters of concern in regards to current Congressional legislation to U.S. Senators/Representatives in hopes to appeal specific legislation that involves reducing or cutting student financial aid spending and programs.”

Why is the federal funding of financial aid important to you? “I believe the youth of America is the future of America, and if we are to succeed as both a country and people, education is a necessary building block.  The federal funding of financial aid is important to me because it allows the future of America to receive a great education regardless of financial circumstances. Federal funding of financial aid give access to an education that is both deserved and one that will be used to better society.”

How has financial aid made a difference in your education? “My parents are wonderful individuals who have worked their whole lives to put my sisters and myself in a position to succeed and attend college.  I knew that if I was going to attend GU that additional financial aid would be necessary because loans would not suffice. Gratefully prayers were answered and scholarships, grants, and other awards came. Without the financial aid from Gonzaga and other sources, I would not be attending the school of my dreams.”

Why did you choose to attend Gonzaga? “I recognized after visiting Gonzaga that if I attended and succeeded, I would turn into the man I desired to be. I realized I would grow in ways I thought only imaginable.”

What class/professor has been your favorite so far and why? “Professor Maya Zeller of English 101. She has inspired me to pursue my dreams and goals while continuously pushing me to think critically and analytically.”   

What does attending Gonzaga mean to you? “Attending Gonzaga means having the future I desire.  Not the fancy job and money, but Gonzaga is helping shape me into the man I want to be and who will make a lasting positive impact on the world. Attending Gonzaga is my opportunity to grow and be the best person I can be for my family and those around me.”

*Please note that the letter excerpts were written solely by student Rick Peshel and contains his opinions and interpretations of the H.R. 1 bill.