Marissa’s Story

At the age of 12, Marissa Harvey (’15) was facing a scary and uncertain future. Her mother had been diagnosed with colon cancer, and with no contact from her father after her parents’ divorce, Marissa was the one to stand by her mother as she underwent radiation and chemotherapy.

“I took on a lot of responsibility in my life,” Marissa said. “I had to cook, clean and do all of the ‘mom stuff’ because she was sick. It had a lasting impact on our relationship, because now I am the one in a caretaker’s role.”

The mother and daugher’s lives were forever shaped by the ordeal and the threat that the cancer would return (as it had a few years after the first round of treatment). Despite the challenges, Marissa set her sights on a future that included a degree from Gonzaga University.

“I only applied to two schools, but I knew I wanted to be at Gonzaga. From the moment I stepped on campus, I knew it was the place for me. I loved the welcoming atmosphere and all of the options to pursue my interests – academically and through service and faith,” she said.

Marissa worked hard to secure a range of scholarships, both need-based and merit. She also took on student loans and is putting in 16 to 19 hours each week at an on-campus job. “It is just about finding a way to make it work so that I can be at Gonzaga,” she said.

The last piece of the financial aid puzzle came in the form of the Gonzaga Scholars Program, a scholarship for high-need, often first-generation college students. The funds from the program met the remaining need for Marissa, after loans and other scholarships had been exhausted. This made a big difference in her Gonzaga experience and for her academic success. Marissa will be the first in her family to graduate from college.

Campus life for Marissa is a mix of schoolwork, job, extra-curricular activities, friends, church and hobbies. She is active in the Connections program through the Center for Community Action and Service Learning (CCASL). Joining this mentoring program during her freshman year, she is now a staff member building partnerships between youth and adult mentors in the Spokane community. “The work I do allows others to access amazing supportive friendships,” Marissa said.

After Gonzaga, she has a goal to get her master’s degree and take her skills into the classroom. “I feel that, for some reason, kids listen to me … and I want to work to keep their trust so they can be successful,” she said.

Still, a burden of worry remains. “My mom’s health is not 100 percent and it never will be. As of now, she is cancer free, but still dealing with the effects of the past treatments. Over the last three years that I have been at GU, my mom has made great improvements. She is so happy to see me at Gonzaga and succeed with hard work.”

The ongoing gift support from Gonzaga alumni, parents and friends helps to make Marissa’s story one of triumph. Please consider making a donation at gonzaga.edu/give to continue making a difference for students just like Marissa.