Scholarship Stories: Kate Harding

DSCN0635 FlorenceItaly1 LjubljanaSlovenia“Many people write off accounting as a boring field of study, but I am inspired by the constant challenge,” said Kate Harding (’16). “I am amazed by all the new things I learn in my classes. That challenge keeps me inspired and interested.”

She has also set challenging goals for herself beyond her time at Gonzaga.

“I plan to achieve my CPA and then get a job with one of the “big four” (Deloitte, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Ernst & Young and KPMG) accounting firms,” said Harding. She aspires to climb the management ladder at whichever firm she works. “Ultimately,” she added, “one day I hope to be the chief financial officer of a major firm.”

Originally from Kirkland, Wash., this Lake Washington High School graduate knew Gonzaga was the place to challenge herself and achieve her goals from the moment she first set foot on campus.

“Gonzaga has everything I was looking for – a smaller university setting where professors take the time to get to know their students,” she recalls. “I felt so welcomed on my first visit by the staff and students. I could immediately feel the unique and strong sense of community at Gonzaga.”

Harding feels both honored and grateful to be a recipient of the Elaine [Morris] Myers & Patrick Morris Scholarship.

“This scholarship has had a huge impact on me because it lessens the burden of trying to figure out how I will finance my education. In this day, the cost of a college education is very high and I would never want money to prevent me from reaching my goals.” She also has plans to follow in the footsteps of her scholarship’s benefactors.

“I hope one day I will be able to donate to Gonzaga to help students achieve their dreams.”

If you would like to help make a difference for students just like Kate, visit gonzaga.edu/giveonline and make a gift to Gonzaga scholarships.