A letter to my family:

Mom: If it weren’t for you I wouldn’t know how to love. When I was little, we would always read books and one book that I cherished the most was, “Love You Forever” by Robert Munsch. The refrain of the mother’s song follows as: “I’ll love you forever / I’ll like you for always / As long as I’m living / My baby you’ll be.” Like the mother in this book, you have shown me the value of unconditional love. You’ve taught me the foundations of giving include: learning, understanding, and validating. Because of your love I am a strong, tenacious, and zealous individual willing to push my own limits daily. Thank you for the gift of love.

Dad: If it weren’t for you I wouldn’t know how to be present. When I was little, I would often cross streets without looking. That habit ceased quickly because of you and a greater lesson formed from it. With your police background, you’re able to “size people up” in a matter of minutes. This ability to read people and situations has lead me to become more aware of my surroundings and ultimately more in tune with whose path I cross. Furthermore, though you’re type A like me, you’ve taught me the value of slowing down and taking each day as they come. Because of your guidance, I have developed into a more aware, compassionate and balanced person.  Thank you for the gift of presence.

Aimee: If it weren’t for you I wouldn’t know how to be courageous. When we were little, I would often take the show by control and you were shy. As we’ve grown older, I have realized you weren’t shy, but rather intention-filled. You didn’t go for everything, but what you did go for you put all of yourself into. Watching you pave your way alone in high school as the oldest (30 miles from home) to forging a new life at Loyola Chicago (1,745 miles from home) to adventuring the globe on Semester at Sea (???? miles from home), you’ve embodied what courageousness looks like. Because of your passion and guided intentions, I am more willing to try things I never would and embark on journeys that once terrified be at the sound of it. Thank you for the gift of courage.

Family: If it weren’t for you I wouldn’t be a Zag. Thank you for the gift of Gonzaga (1, 025 miles from home).

Your Sara B.