Our Blog

Blessing “Fruits and Nuts”

When one joins the Society of Jesus, he spends his first two years in the Jesuit novitiate.  It is in the novitiate that novices learn to live Ignatian Spirituality and thus start their journey towards becoming either a Jesuit priest or brother.   As beginners in the Jesuit way of proceeding, one of the first privileges a novice gains in the novitiate is the right to bless “Fruits and Nuts”.  This right of blessing belongs to the second of the four minor orders.  A privilege with Jewish origins, the right is gained when one is installed as a Lector (the other three minor orders being first Porter, then Exorcist and Acolyte).  While the Roman Church does not view the minor orders in the same traditional way, as a novice these privileges are quite important.  As a Jesuit novice a number of years ago, I once blessed the addition to a house claiming authority to do so rested in the type of wood paneling (Walnut) the room was sided with.  You can see the danger in this logic.    

Some of you might know that I am the Jesuit who sits at the end of the bench for the men’s basketball team.  Contrary to popular belief, there really is no Lady Queen of Victory.  It is not ideal to pray for victory; I do not think God cares about the outcome of sporting events. (Although we all know that Christ is a soccer fan! I digress ).  We do pray for sportsmanship and the ability to use God given talents and graces fully.   We also pray that Gonzaga’s student body and fans will hold themselves accountable in the spirit of the game.  Fr. Tony, my predecessor on the bench, was famous for his blessings.  Indeed, rumors are that he once blessed a large beverage container before one home game.  I avoid kegs these days, but I do bless the 1,200 students who jump up and down for forty minutes each home game yelling at the top of their lungs. I then turn and bless the rest of the 6,000 strong Kennel.   For me, the logic still holds, talk about blessing Fruits and Nuts…..