Our Blog

Parents and their students should be discussing now whether getting a job is an expectation or not.  There is a myth about students being too busy to work, or that working might interfere with their academics.  The opposite is actual true.  Students who work 12-15 hours a week, especially on campus, are often better students, more invested in their education and more community oriented.

We, at the Student Employment Office, are anxious to welcome incoming students to campus and help them with work related issues.  We can anticipate some of your questions and want to take this time to clarify how the whole “work thing” works.  The most basic questions are about the procedure for getting a job and what paperwork is necessary for working on campus.  This is our way of getting some initial information to you so when you arrive, you are prepared!

There are two ways to work on campus at Gonzaga.

1)  Federal Work Study (FWS): Based on financial need as determined by your FAFSA

2)  Institutional:  Open to any Gonzaga student and is department funded

Some Realities

  • If your student is eligible for FWS, the job search will be rather painless in that there are more FWS jobs than students with FWS to fill them.  Starting the job search will guarantee best choice.
  • If you are not eligible for FWS, you will then be looking for an Institutional job on campus.  These jobs are much harder to find, especially for freshmen, so it is imperative to begin early as jobs will go quickly.

Job lists will be available Monday, August 16.  For FWS, students can check the jobs on-line at www.gonzaga.edu/studentemployment, Work Study Job Boards (FWS).  For Institutional jobs students should email Robin Guevara at guevara@gonzaga.edu and the list will be sent by email attachment.

The Student Employment Job Fair will be on Monday, August 30 from 12-2pm in Cataldo Hall. At the job fair you will find departments looking to hire for both FWS (mostly) & Institutional (a few).

Finding a job is only part of the process.  Students must also complete the necessary mandatory hiring paperwork before they can work.

**The I-9 Form is the Employment Eligibility Verification form. This form requires us to see and verify original documents. There is a choice of documents but the following will satisfy the requirement: either an unexpired passport, OR, an original social security card or birth certificate. Don’t leave home without them!

Students at Gonzaga are paid by direct deposit therefore students need to bring their bank information with them.

Read more about employment policies and procedures at Gonzaga by going to our website, www.gonzaga.edu/studentemployment and clicking on the Student Employment Manual.

The Student Employment Office looks forward to welcoming you to Gonzaga this fall.  If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact Robin Guevara, Student Employment Manager at 509-313-6587 or guevara@gonzaga.edu.

Comments are closed.