With Orientation looming just a week away, Gonzaga’s campus is coming out of summer hibernation. Campus is primped with lush green grass, blooming flowers and a fresh coat of paint. Everything seems to be in place for the start of our new academic year, except for one missing ingredient: our students. The students who inspire and amaze us daily, while giving us a sense of reason behind the work we do.
The Career Center/GAMP office places the needs of our students first, in all the work we do. From scheduling dynamic and relevant trainings on interviewing, resumes and job search or to creating events allowing for students to meet with recruiters at top firms; the career development needs of the students is the forefront of our mission and purpose.
Helping to guide students through their career development process as advocates is the passion behind each member of the Career Center/GAMP team. We are advocates for every academic major, every student, and we would like to invite parents and families to join us.
Here are three simple ways you can become involved in the career development of a Zag:
- Become a mentor with Gonzaga Alumni Mentor Program (GAMP): Do you have insight to an industry or field that you’d like to share with a current student? Join GAMP to connect with a student interested in learning more about your field. Not a Zag? Not a problem! We welcome mentors from all academic and professional backgrounds. To sign up simply go to: www.zagsonline.org/gamp
- Forward job and internship openings: Hear of a great opportunity that could be a fit for new college grad? Or a fantastic internship program? We’d love to hear about it. Feel free to send them directly my way to: email@example.com.
- Join us on campus: If you know you are returning to visit your son or daughter and would love to share professional knowledge or advice, let us know! We can schedule a Brown Bag Lunch or a Coffee Chat. These easy and informal events are excellent opportunities to meet with students interested in learning more about your field.
We welcome the opportunity to work with our Gonzaga parents and families as advocates for our students in the career development process. If you are interested in learning more about how you can help, be sure to join us for our seminar at New Parent Orientation Saturday August 27th.
Here are upcoming dates to be aware of:
- Freshman Italian Soda Social: Sept. 7th 4-6 pm
- On-Campus Interviews for Accounting students: Sept. 20-Oct. 10 (Students must apply through www.zagtrax.net for consideration. Most opportunities are now listed and close mid September.)
- Engineering and Computer Science Career & Internship Fair: Oct. 12
- Fall Etiquette Dinner: Oct. 26
- All Major Career & Internship Fair: Nov. 16
Happy moving Zag families! We can’t wait to welcome students back to Gonzaga!